1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Tobias Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magneezius, Oct 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    The pickups do have the Bartolini lettering on them. The woods are bubinga top, alder body, Wenge tone block, flame maple neck with purple heart stringers, and rosewood fb.

evilgus likes this.
  2. Bruce

Bruce

Aug 12, 2004
    south carolina
    Hello to all.
    I am a few days away from receiving my first Tobias bass.
    It is a 1995 Tobias Growler V in natural finish.
    Saw somewhere that for the finish of this bass, Murphys Oil Soap is a good
    product for cleaning and preserving.
    Is this what I want to do on this finish?
    Thanks, Bruce on the coast of South Carolina

3. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Were you able to source a new headstock decal? I'm considering refinishing my killer B headstock. There is a hair in the clear that has driven me nuts since I bought it. Lol

4. mntallpaul

mntallpaul Supporting Member

I just have always used lemon oil on my killerB. Seems like has no problem with it .

evilgus likes this.
  5. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Hello there! I would like to know if there's someone that could help me to better identify theese KillerB5
    This is the first one from a friend o mine, he borrowed it to me and It sound AMAZING! so I started to search for an used one that could matches as close as possible...
    Anyway this is the bass:
    Serial is 2523093 this could mean that is unit 252 produced on 03/09/93 ?
    He bought it in 95\96 NEW.
    Strings spacing its something around 17,5mm
    What's strange is: has NO serial on the PU cavity and there's a "0132" hand written on truss cavity...

Anyway, here in Italy I found another one (light blue) that from a private seller online..so I saw only a few pics, he says it's early 90's here's some pics

question is: do U think theese two could be in the same kind of "league" sonically speaking? I mean..do they look as are the "same" bass or there's something U spot different?
    Thanks! :)

Attached Files:

chupacerveza likes this.
  6. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

There's no way to tell just from looking, but if I had to guess, I would say there's a good chance they will sound similar. The blue one looks to be made of ash. The other one has a less pronounced grain pattern, but might be ash. (Does anyone know if all the Killer-B's were ash bodied?)

Visually, your friend's bass looks a bit "cleaner", but I'm a sucker for black hardware. However, the blue body is very sexy. Put some light gauge GHS Pressurewounds on it and I'll bet it's a slap monster. :thumbsup:

omodepelle likes this.
  7. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    thanks a lot for the reply,
    I would like just to be "kinda" SURE that at least the Pups and preamps are the same..
    the brown one from my friend looks ash..from what I can tell it' definitely NOT heavy... I suppose they're both ash..

8. red_rhino

Both look to have the drop shoulder Bartolini pickups. Preamp is very likely to be the same. As far as weight, you can't assume any similarity based on the woods. I have an ash body bass that's super-light; really, just 7 lbs (3.1kg), but I've owned and played others that were very heavy.

Ask the seller to weigh the bass. (I see you just joined today. Welcome to Talkbass. The first rule of Talkbass is "Weight?" ;) You'll see.) The second rule of Talkbass is "Pics?" So if you buy it, you must post pictures here.

chupacerveza and omodepelle like this.
  9. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Thanks! I would definitely like to take it..but I could not try it before buying..since he is pretty far from me...
    what i know is that the one from my friend left me speechlees.. other than B string sounding huge, this bass has a kinda growl around 150\200Hz that I never heard before... simply with active mode on, eq flat and blend 50%..
    I gotta have it..

10. I'm not an expert on Killer B's, but I learned a little about them before I finally bought one. Firstly, there isn't an abundance of info out there about these unusual basses.

They've been built with bubinga, lacewood, mahogany, ash, and (I think) walnut bodies. Fretboards seem to be mostly pau ferro, but some are wenge, and possibly some maple.

The electronics packages seem to vary as well. Some have internal trim pots, some don't. I may have read that some have two-way toggle switches, mine has a three-way toggle.

Not sure what wood your one below has, but I wouldn't be surprised if turns out to be walnut.

[​IMG]

It also appears to not have internal trim pots, if my eyes aren't deceiving me.

Edit: Just noticed that yours looks to be running at 9v, while mine is set up at 18v.

[​IMG]

Here's my lacewood KB with wenge board. Note the three trim pots inside, which are all gain pots....one for each pickup, and one for overall gain. Not sure what advantage there might be for that setup. Mine has a push-pull volume knob that acts as an additional mids contour switch (not an active/passive switch). The bass is active only, the EQ cannot be disengaged. It has a very distinctive mids-forward sound overall, although super deep lows and uber high "tinkling" freqs are on tap, too. The tone setting options are overkill, finding the perfect setting requires some serious knob twiddling. I've had this thing for years and am still exploring its potential.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  11. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Thanks! Looks awesome!

Templar likes this.
  12. red_rhino

I think that's often the story with Tobias basses. Mine is a pre-Gibson Classic 4; so a different preamp. It took me a long time to really understand how to get the sound I wanted, simply because the type of settings I used on most other basses did not have the same result on my Tobias. The mid frequency has a huge impact on both the treble and bass controls, so you really have to listen to how changes in your settings impacts the sound, rather than just think "boost here, cut there, and away we go."

BTW, the wenge board on your bass is gorgeous. drool

Templar and omodepelle like this.
  13. Yeah, the controls on mine are interactive. With four separate mid shift switches, the wide-freq 3-band, and the pickup balance knob...the possibilities are near endless. To simplify things sometimes I'll set the mids knob to its center detent position, which effectively neutralizes the 3-way mids toggle, leaving just the push-pull vol knob for choosing between (I think) 400-800hz. Even then, it's a tweaky arrangement.

Just for kicks I brought my KB to my long-time tech buddy to look at. He's been dealing with Bill Bartolini for 30+ years, knows pretty much everything Bartolini, and is fully aware of how BB liked to do custom spec'd elecs for certain builders like Tobias, Pedulla, Conklin, etc. He'd never seen a Bart setup exactly like the one on my KB.

I'm still wondering about the intended purpose of separate internal gain pots for each pickup, when the balance knob has a wide linear sweep, and would seem to accomplish the same result. And if Mike Tobias had any input on that, or if it's just an exclusively Gibson concept. If there's any useful application for that gain control setup, I'd love to hear about it....anyone?

chupacerveza and omodepelle like this.
  14. I just turn all the knobs all the way up.

chupacerveza and foal30 like this.
  15. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    There was a Killer B sold in NZ maybe 18 months back
    Auction describe body as Walnut

omodepelle and Templar like this.
  16. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Can't do that with the Growler
    Everything goes boom

17. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Looks like an alder body with a WTMB pre. The blue one looks much younger, like in the Gibson days with either a TCT or NTMB. Both of which sound completely different than the WTMB. The TCT is nice but the WTMB is something really special that only graced the last few years of the Burbank Killer B. There are also no notes or specs to how they were built so they’re lost to time.

omodepelle and Templar like this.
  18. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    That's definetly something important, since I need to be sure they sound THE SAME!
    whats the WTMB preamp?? could U spot the difference if I post a pick of the back cavity inside of the blue one?
    they should be both from "93"... they're both 17mm spaced and tuning machines with Tobias logo..
    Thanks

19. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    wich preamp U think is this one? :)
    I'm not at home right now, should be some kind of label on the black boxes sides?

Attached Files:

20. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Hard to say, there should be a sticker on the main module. Don’t think it’s NTMB but there’s 3 different TCT’s if it’s not the WTMB. I could be wrong but the serial number on the blue one looks way later than the other. Notice the different serial # format? Only the number/date format was used on KB’s in Burbank. Gibson changed it when they took it to Nashville. Which means different preamp.

omodepelle likes this.