1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Tobias Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magneezius, Oct 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Many thanks Bassdudepat..I noticed that but I was not aware of this "hint", the one from the friend o mine has 2523093 that should be 9th of March 1993.. isn'it?
    The blue one has a 3104 only.. could be possible that the "date" part shows in the rear cavity?
    other than that, IF the blue one was 100% Gibson, should'nt have the grover tuning machines instead of the Tobias logo engraved? he told me strings spacing is 17mm..

chupacerveza likes this.
  2. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Guys please, the blue KillerB5 owner just sent me the pics of the REAR cavity! so
    FULL SERIAL is 3104 (headstock) and 2440 (rear cavity)
    At a quick look the elctronics LOOKS the same..
    any help bout year of production and similarity to the brown one from my friend?
    THANKS!

Attached Files:

chupacerveza likes this.
  3. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    I,'ve just checked the inside cavity of the B5 from the friend of mine.. Preamp closest to the top of the bass is DTA 1.3 The middle is XTC LZ. 3rd has no stickers or markings visible.

chupacerveza likes this.
  4. bassdudepat

bassdudepat Bringer of the Brown Note Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    It’s a TCT preamp. That’s a good pre! You can still get the blue one if you want. I’m sure it’s a Gibson. Bart re-released the old Burbank TCT pre Thanks to Adam Saylor pushing them. It’s called the HRTCT5.4 and it’s about $250-ish? I put one in my MTD and it sounded great. Better (IMO) than the NTMB.

iwearpumas and omodepelle like this.
  5. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Hmm, I should put a TCT in my MTD.

6. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Thanks, by the way i sent an email to Tobias who kindly reported to me that the killer B5 of my friend its from gibson era.. He told me that they used otger components and wiring systems .. So the blue should sound as the one from the friend of mine!

chupacerveza likes this.
  7. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I think it's a bit unusual that the numbers on the headstock and rear cavity do not match. The last Burbank era serial number was 2044 (per Michael Tobias Design). Everything after that was Nashville, and I imagine it's possible that there was some confusion in numbering during the hand-off to the new crew.

However, the preamp does indeed look to be the same as your friend's bass. At this point, if the weight is acceptable to you, I'd just buy it and take my chances.

omodepelle likes this.
  8. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Thanks Red Rhino.. What matters to me is that the sound it's the same! So theese are both gibson era, but I suppose at this point that were only assembled and wired from gibson.. The guy from the blue one sent me the warranty certificate and its not from gibson..

9. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Here it is, my friend told me he had THE SAME with his bass..

Attached Files:

10. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Price its 1500 Euros.. Its not cheap.. But I suppose I will Struggle to find Another One..

11. red_rhino

There is no guarantee that even two identical basses built on the same day from the same materials will sound the same. As far as Tobias basses are concerned, the preamp was a key part of the sound, and both of those basses appear to have the same preamp.

The only way you'll know for sure is if you play it. Sounds like you need to take a road trip.

It's not always easy to determine a value on these, or even on the pre-gibson ones, but that price seems about right ($1686 US, for those of you following along). And you are correct, local availability may be a bigger factor there than it is here.

omodepelle likes this.
  12. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I wouldn’t coo t on it sounding the same or Hank g the same pre, I’d ask the seller. Or take the chance. Still probably a great bass.
    I’d recomend it. Turned it into a different animal. I thought it sounded way better. But that’s just my opinion.
    The killer B’s had a different serial number structure than his Norma basses. 2044 was the last yes, it the killer B’s all had the number/ date setup and there it a record of the last. The sent all their parts (body blanks, necks, electronics to Nashville on their last day to get them going. That why it get tough around that crossover date to nail down of it was Burbank or not.

omodepelle and iwearpumas like this.
  13. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Auto correct is killing me. Ugh.. sorry for the grammar.

omodepelle likes this.
  14. omodepelle

omodepelle

Mar 7, 2019
    Thanks Guys, I think I'll own a Tobias pretty soon here! ❤️❤️❤️

evilgus, red_rhino and bassdudepat like this.
  15. bassdudepat

Mar 31, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Do it! You’ll love it!

omodepelle likes this.
  16. Yeah, mine's a Basic with just 3 knobs, no battery..pretty basic.

17. LowB-90

LowB-90 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2014
    COLORADO
    A87018DD-7726-4920-BC27-3012CFD676DE. Hi guys am selling my fretless pre Gibson Tobias if anyone is interested.

18. Bruce

Bruce

Aug 12, 2004
    south carolina
    Well ladies and gents, my first Tobias bass has arrived two days ago. Its a natural colored Growler 5, made in 1995. Yes, I am aware that this is really a Gibson bass with the Tobias name on it, but..........
    This one is in nice shape, but had a intermittent hum seen only in the neck pickup. A little look under the cover showed a not well soldered ground junction from one of the two pickup coax cables to ground. A little heat from my Weller soldering gun and some fresh solder and the hum is gone. Maybe the reason why the guy sold it to me!?!????
    After playing Fender J and P basses for 54 years, this Growler 5 is a tone monster, with incredible dynamics.
    This weekend I am going to look at it on my bench scope and compare it to my '62 Jazz bass for volt peaks above a minimum sonic value, and convert that to db just to see.
    My next gig is tomorrow night and am looking real forward to playing this bass and see how she fits into the mix.
    Several years ago I pickup a Washburn XB500 5 string active bass, and upgraded the noisy stock pickup in it (much better sounding) and about 2 months ago bought a mint 1990 Fender Jazz Bass V Plus, with the stock Kubicki preamp. This particular Fender bass is quite a great sounding bass, but, in my living room, the difference in punch and dynamic range of the Growler is very noticeable.
    Tomorrow should be interesting, and looking forward to it.
    Bye for now, Bruce

evilgus, bassdudepat, foal30 and 3 others like this.
  19. mntallpaul

mntallpaul Supporting Member

Due to financial situation, my baby is up for sale. One owner 2003 killerB bubbinga 4. It's in the classifieds. IMG_20190309_125929840.

20. red_rhino

A good design, is a good design, (just ask Leo), and transcends its manufacturer. They may not be considered as collectable, but I've played more than a few Gibson Tobias basses that were excellent. Sounds like you found a good one.

Congratulations. :thumbsup: Go rock that thing!