1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Official Wal Bass website is shutting down - end of an era

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oddio, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Hello all. If you've ever viewed the official Wal bass website, you know that it was owned and operated by Steve Chesney on behalf of Pete Stevens and Electric Wood / Wal basses. Mr. Chesney has finally decided to close the site down. It's a sad day and the end of an era. If it wasn't for Steve I would likely never have discovered Wal for myself. Thank you kindly for your selfless efforts, Steve. Best wishes for all of your future endeavors.

The original announcement was made here. *Mods - I hope this link to another site is acceptable policy. If not please feel free to delete with my apologies.*

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Yep.
    Another nail in the coffin.

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    And the Wal prices will rocket more.

4. noooooo....

5. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    Personally, I've spent many "Wal-less" hours trawling through that website over the past few years :( .

Still, I've got 1.5 Wals of my own now, so at least that's some consolation :D .

Seems that Pete really is planning to switch over to repairs and service, rather than starting production again. I only hope that the people for whom he has already taken orders (and there are some), get their basses in the end :meh: .

Otherwise, somebody out there is already in possesion of THE LAST EVER WAL BASS :eek: . Now there's a thought for you!

:rolleyes:

6. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Does anyone know if Ian had some sort of wish that Wal not be sold to someone who would take up the good work of producing those basses?

7. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Please let him sell the patents for his electronics. To have those go down with the basses would be a tragedy.

8. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    To have Gibson putting them into Epiphone EB3s (for instance) would be worse :meh: .... wait a minute! That could actually work :D

9. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Yeah that'd be cool.. Not sure what i would put them in though XD

10. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    A sad sad sad day is the day that Wal ends. They are amazging basses, there is nothing like them.

11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Sucks to here. My chances of ever getting one have gone from slim to astronomical.

12. That's a shame. Hold onto those Wals gentlemen.

13. zuma

zuma

Dec 21, 2006
    East Los Angeles
    Damn! I can't say I ever played one. I hope someone will bring theirs to the next L.A. get together. Any way, I do love the way they sound and I hope I can afford one some day (if I play it and like the feel of it of course).

:eyebrow:

14. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    May I suggest Foderas & SEIs :cool: :hyper:

sei_wal.

15. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    You can't patent electronic circuits. Besides they were derived from existing circuits and even if you could patent it it has been long enough that it would have expired. He could license the name though and that should make more money.

There is a preamp on the market now that performs the same function made by AKG, or AGC or something.

16. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation Banned

Jun 21, 2006
    I'm not pelagic
    I love all 33" of the Waldera! Got any sound clips? :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

17. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    :bawl:

basically, i want the black Mach I in your avatar, oddio. i will have one! i don't know how or when, but i will!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

18. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    The Wal-type pre-amp is designed by John East (of J-Retro fame) and sold by ACG.

The end of Wal as a builder of basses is very sad news indeed...

19. The final?

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats a shame, but I can totally agree with why he is doing it.

At the same time, it's incredibly sad to hear that Wals are done now...to think at one time they were considered "old hat" and totally out of fashion! I'd love one, but I guess the closest I'll get will be sticking a Wal-alike pickup and pre set in a mahogany bodied bass...