1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Officially a set-up junkie.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jsbass, Dec 29, 2006.

1. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I think it's safe to call myself a bass setup junkie. I always find something to tweak on my bass, but each time I tweak something, the better it gets. :D

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    How often do you actually play it ???

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I am a set up junkie as well. :)

4. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Me too :help:

I need to quit that because it does distract me from regular practice.

5. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Same.

6. I feal your pain :D

7. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Same. Ugh, plus with the truss wheel, my bass is makes it soooo easy to be tweaked! :help:

Graeme

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Yeah,me too. Just a hour ago I thought of throwing away my tools to stop myself. But there is something wrong with me,each time I tweak something it gets worse.:eyebrow:

9. I think you SHOULD be constantly tweaking your setup.

Small changes is the way to go, and this way is the best way to match your setup with your technique and visa versa.

10. bah im too scared to do it myself! im too paranoid of damaging my basses!

11. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Heh, it just takes the ambition of not wanting to pay $40 to get it set up. I learned by just fooling around until I got things where I wanted it. Don't play with the truss though, thats the only thing where you can damage something. Raising and lowering the action or doing your intonation won't harm anything.

12. but if i raise or lower the action, dont i HAVE to tweak the trust rod to adjust the tension??

13. I hear ya, but just week I took the plunge and finally adjusted the truss rod on my MIJ P-bass 'Lyte'. "Why?" I felt that the neck should have been straighter, so I just did it.

Turned out fine, and the action definately improved. :p

14. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Not necessarily, if you measure your relief, and it still shows up fine, then no need to.

15. anyone should be able to safely adjust trussrods just remember these rules...

1...always ensure that the nut is moving before you apply any force to it...(loosen it befor you tighten).

2...always "assist" your neck....that is...take the string tension off and use a bar, a clamp, some blocks and a caul as necessary (or a friend ;) )

3...always make SMALL adjustments...remember wher you are and a 1/4 turn at a time

4....never FORCE it...if it's bottomed out, then, it is bottomed out...

5....always use the correct tool