1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Officially Licensed Circuits - Thor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by James Hart, Aug 3, 2007.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thor-001.
    (it's really #TR001... the builder mislabeled it TH001)

I have a analog.man King.of.tone that kills for the clean boost / mild OD stuff I'm doing lately... but I was wanting some major dirt / raunch too. I found this http://www.runoffgroove.com/thor.html and dug the sound files. I contacted OLC to see if it was offered (not on the site) and was told they would.

I got the first one... they had just put the kit / pedal offering together as I asked :bassist:

http://www.olcircuits.com/olc_thor.html

First off: The build quality is excellent. Nice clean wiring, tidy soldering, etc. I've no concerns for longevity, everything is quality pieces. It's powder coated a medium blue metal flake with a black image of Thor & hammer.... and a killer white LED with lightning shooting from it :D

Next... Tone: While it didn't make me sound like Mr. Van Halen, it does have a bunch of usable tones from slight crunch to Ragin full-on gated wall of dirt. Some day I'll get to recording more varied settings, I did play along to a couple tunes for the OLC website since I got the first AND he's not really sold to bassists before. It sounds best to me pushed by my clean boost keep in mind it really comes to life through my tube rig.

Here is a little 'Gratitude' and 'Behind the Wall of Sleep' with Gain @ 60% and Volume @ 75% with the Bottom switch up/on. It's Bee Bass -> Thor -> M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard. Track was copy/pasted and each panned hard left or right. The Original artists faded into the middle.

http://www.olcircuits.com/audio/olc_thor_custdemo01.mp3

I just found out my 'Flipster' was finished and is shipping Tuesday :bassist:

2. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Sounds like an awesome fuzz! :bassist:

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Nice! :bassist:

4. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

your "gratitude" needs work.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So does yours. ;)

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    for someone tired of "fighting. explaining. struggling. misunderstanding. arguing" that was pretty blunt :meh:

Without hearing *your* Gratitude, I'll say that I've never tried to play it before... I wanted to record something that was popular as a distorted bass line, loaded my Gratitude mp3 into Sonar and figured it out on a couple quick run throughs.... I think it was the 4th or 5th time playing along I hit record.

7. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Meh it sounds alright. Doesn't really reach out and grab me. But I can tell you're happy with it, and that's what is important.

Just not the sound I want. Not that I know what sound that is, but I'm still searching. :D

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    yeah, it misses a little something without being played through an amp.... maybe I'll set myself back up for amp recording this week.

and yeah, I'm digging it... I've had it over a month now, so it's not a 'honeymoon review' at this point. I don't use it all the time, but it's got it's place on my board.

oh and the linked clip is updated... still the same, but no backing track

9. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Cool. I look forward to more clips! If you could get some in a mix, I'd be especially impressed.

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    James, that sounds nasty.

and i like it.:bassist:

congratulations on the cool pedal! can't wait to hear your clips of the Flipster.

http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Sounds pretty damn good to me.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks for the comments guys. My Flipster is on the way by now (USPS) so I'll be recording more clips via mic on the tube rig once that gets here. I was playing my fretless through the Thor last night... I need to record some of that too. They worked well together IMO.

13. -1....... Ouch (make sure you don't listen to any of my clips then...they are a noodle nightmare)

Thanks for the clip James :)

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks.... the Flipster arrived today, some new clips should be ready soon

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
  16. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Hey James...When you get a few minutes, I'd like to hear more about the "Analogman King of Tone". You said it was a great clean boost with a mild OD function. Please give us a quick review...thx

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    review... I almost never turn it off :smug:

Here is a clip I'm using it as a mild OD for the main "bass" line and full on distortion for the lead.

I currently have the Yellow side set to be much less OD than that clip... and the Red side is between the bass and lead's level of dirt.

Actually the clip of the Thor I posted above has the Yellow side of the KOT on... it's part of my sound these days, it's almost always on.

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I dig the tone. Somewhere between The Ox and Billy Gould in terms of grit. Nice playing.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    thanks... it'd been WAY too long between jams. Hopefully this crew will stay regular