1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Officially part of TEAM VALVE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Apr 22, 2006.

1. The V4, in all it's mightyness is sitting on top of my stack.
    My initial thoughts... it ****ing rocks!
    I'm so excited. At the guy's house he let me crank it... It's intense! It (his cab) was around 150 W and farting out so I couldn't get a great idea on how cranky this bizzle can get. It sounds AMAZING. It's so FAT, warm, and full.
    I can't get it to break up, so far, at low volumes, I also don't find much variation from the EQ (this could be from the low volume, tho) - but tbh, it sounds AMAZING set flat!

the valves are the original Trace Elliot tubes - it's a '95! - which are relabelled Sovteks I think. Not been inside 'er yet. No biasing control, which has its own pros and cons.

I am VERY VBERYVERYVERYVERY happy. :hyper:

It's a TOTAL beast!!! :smug: :bassist:

valves forever!

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Congrats!

~S~

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    +1
    :D

5. Hahahah ACE DUDE! Im glad you like it, you got a steal of a deal too! You still gonna go ahead and mod it so its got the green knobs and metal grill?

Cant wait to try this thing out :p

6. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Welcome to team valve.

Besides the obvious benefits with tube-amp ownership.

Two men in dark suits and sunglasses will contact you with strict instructions,
    as to the world wide locations of our monthly meetings, and super-secret handshake.

You will receve the full benifit package with the ownership of
    Your Trace Elliot V4, Including but not limited to:

A limosine ride to and from all shows.
    Free unlimited groupie/roadie service.
    Your own personal amp/bass tech.
    And a timeshare ownership in a quaint english castle once owned by sting.....:smug:

7. I love that one the most, who could have guessed a groupie could also be a roadie!

8. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    With the way prices are going up, we had to discontinue one or the other.
    I think we made the right choice, It really helps keep the girls in tip-top shape.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Welcome. Check my sig for inspiration.

10. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Very cool. Welcome indeed =)

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Oh so it was you who picked up that dirt cheap V4 on eBay. I was on holiday while the auction was finishing and besides, I'm pretty broke at the moment. I'm holding out for a V6/V8 anyway (most probably gonna be a V6 because I can't raise the cash to make an offer that a V8 owner can't refuse). There's a V6 with a 4x12 V-Type cab on eBay UK right now, I'm watching it but it has a reserve, I dunno how reasonable it will be. If it doesn't sell I may just get tempted to ask the seller if he's prepared to split it up.

12. Yeah, that's cool Aj. I'd quite like a V-type 4x12! very sexy cabs, alas, picking it up isn't of interest to me.

Oh, and if a V8 comes up... I can assure you you'll still have some competition from me! :eek: :ninja:

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Without pictures, it simply doesn't exist. We want pictures! :hyper:

14. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    ahhh yes welcome to 'team valve' lol. Get the chrome knobs on it like on my v6;)but yea Iv been going on at you on msn and now on here to

GET SOME PICS

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

15. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Welcome.

As another satisfied V4 owner,I'm glad you like such a simple, versatile amp with some seriously awsome tube tone.

Enjoy!

16. OK, here ya go... Not great quality I know....

Mmmm...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The woman doens't approve... ;)
    [​IMG]

17. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    that looks wicked mate, bet it sounds wicked as well:Dhows it sound through your cabs?man everytime I see your G3 I want it lol

18. OK, I've had a chance to play my SMX head today, and I've decided at low volumes, the SMX is FAR louder.

The gain knob is quite scratchy, and I get nothing with the setting at 1 (even with output up full). 2 gives me some volume, then a dramatic increase at 3. It's a dirty pot, for sure, so I'm thinking this is partly due as to why the house isn't falling apart at very low volumes (my SMX can't be turned up past 2/1 on the volumes).

The valves are the stock Trace KT88s. They are now almost (if not already) 11 years old... So I suppose they are probably due a change; would these older tubes also make my amp sound quieter?

19. I find that funny, your SMX is far louder at low volumes than your V4? then turn down your SMX a bit :p

Hope it is just the pot dude, and 11 years doesnt mean it has to be retubed, chances are they are fine, but seriously, take it to a tech to give it the once over an make sure everything is ok :)

PS women and avoiding photographs eh, maybe she thinks keith hangs about on TB ;)

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice score! :cool: