1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Offset bridge... would this bother you?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Dean N, Nov 29, 2018.

Would the bridge bother you?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2018.
  1. It must be destroyed!

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Nope, it's fine.

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. Go stuff a big ol' carrot in it.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    20181129_101117. A while ago, I got an Ibanez CTB5 - my first 5-string. I love the ergonomics, though I do plan on building a new body, and installing all new electronics.

I noticed that the bridge is offset, i.e. appears shifted towards the G string. It functions fine, and if you look closely you can see it's designed this way. What do you think, TB? Would this drive you crazy? I'm fine with it, as long as function is good. I thought it was a bit odd and interesting.

Has anyone seen a similar bridge? I have not. The bass is a Korean 1992, and I think (but not sure) the hardware is (unmarked) made by Gotoh.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    That wouldn't bother me and considering you'll be screwing it on a new body eventually you can get it right at that time.

Dean N likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That bridge design has to be offset like that, since the saddle points aren't symmetrical to the bridge plate (so the bridge plate has to slide sideways for the strings to be aligned). Weird. I'd live with it but the looks would irk me.

4. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That's what I'm thinking about... I'm going to make the body more or less identical, with different routes for pups. Spend the cash on a similar new bridge (pretty much just for cosmetics)? Or put it into the electronics?

5. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    ..........although the angle of your pic makes it seem like the holes aren't spaced as far apart as the saddles are.

Dean N likes this.
  6. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I rotated the pic a bit.. hopefully a bit easier to see.

7. 202dy

202dy

Sep 26, 2006
    It is unusual for a bridge to mislocated.

This guitar was not born with EMG select pickups. Look closely at the routes for the pickups. It appears that the routs have been expanded to accept the new pickups. Both pickup routs were moved to the bass side of the body.

The new routs are most likely the problem.

Dean N and sissy kathy like this.
  8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    It seems that the bridge is off centered to the right to compensate for the string notches in the saddles being offset to the left.

Dean N likes this.
  9. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Good catch! It very obvious on the neck position once it's been pointed out.

Dean N likes this.
  10. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Interesting. I have the same model in a 4 string, and the body routes (pups, neck, electronics cavity) are typical great Ibanez quality. They're all noticeably sloppier in the 5er. The bodies are, however, an exact match in both shape and size.

And those are the stock pups:

1992_USA_catalog_p42-43.
    There appears to be very little, if any, visible shift in the bridge. And there appears to be a bigger gap between the bridge pup and the knob right by it. But the bridge on my bass centers the strings properly over the neck! I'll post better pics of the body.

What's going on here?

@Plucky The Bassist , do you still have your 5er?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  11. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I don't see a problem. I even cleaned my glasses. What specifically are you seeing that I am not?

96tbird, Dean N and saabfender like this.
  12. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi Turnaround, your input is always appreciated. It is likely a trivial thing, the bridge appears to be offset towards the treble string side. Since the strings are centered properly over the fretboard, you and your freshly cleaned glasses are right. No real problem. I've just never seen a bridge installed this way, so I thought I'd share. There is no sign that the bridge has ever been mounted in a second position (I removed it to clean it). Though it brings up some questions about the routes, which are way sub-par for Ibanez.

13. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The bridge is exactly where it needs to be if the stings are aligned over the neck and pickups as in this case. This bridge is designed so that the string grooves for all strings are on the left side of the intonation screws. The intonation screws run through the centre of the saddles. So if you look at the G string saddle, for the rightmost saddle height screw to sit on the base plate, the plate needs to be a bit wider on the G string side - otherwise the height screw would be off the plate. If you widened the base plate on the E string side to match the amount showing from the edge of the string, then the E string saddle would look too far right on the base plate.

On a bridge of the design below, they have moved the intonation screws so that they could avoid the unbalanced appearance.

upload_2018-12-1_0-1-39.

96tbird, Dean N and SteveCS like this.
  14. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm reminded of a song here (surprise!):

Dean N likes this.
  15. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    It's not the only assymetrical design out there...
    20181201_073151.

96tbird and Dean N like this.
  16. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I understand that the bridge is designed this way. It just seemed like an oddball design I wanted to share, and see if TB folks would consider it unacceptable. Does anyone know who made hardware for Ibanez back then?

Now I'm also curious about the neck and pickup routes. I didn't mention it because it didn't seem relevant. Almost seems like someone stripped the body, hacked up the routes, and reassembled it. I can hardly believe that it came out of the (Cort?) factory that way. It's a mystery bass!

17. Looks good to me. I vote "acceptable."

Dean N likes this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Something is up with the pickup routes.... particularly the nack pickup.

I would start there. It might be the pickups and not the bridge that's the problem.

How about a pic of the bass from the bridge to at least the octave fret? That would give us a big picture view of everything in the equation. If the strings are perfectly aligned over the neck, but wonky from there, it's likely the pickup routes.

Dean N likes this.
  19. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2F, I'll get a good shot. The A string is dead center on the board. String alignment is fine.

20. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    20181201_184411. Here are some pics. You can see the string alignment is fine. Interesting that the bodies are identical in size. I put in a pic of the 4's neck pocket to show the difference in fit, but the black paint and lighting and paint wear make it less clear.

20181201_184949. 20181201_185057. 20181201_185141. 20181201_185239.