Offset Height / Taller Barrel Saddles?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by castlev, Nov 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Hi guys/girls,
    I am in a band which plays in drop G, and I am currently using my ESP Custom Shop Horizon 4 string, 34" scale bass. I am using a .165 for the LOW G string, tapered. To compensate for the tapered string, I have the saddle pretty much at the max height. I plan to bump up to a .170T, but I am worried that with the saddle already maxed out, I will be getting quite a bit of buzz with the fatter string.

The question is, does anybody make an offset height saddle where either the barrel is taller? If not, does anybody make a barrel saddle where the intonation screw mounts lower to allow for more height?

Thanks

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Why don't you just buy longer screws?

iiipopes and JLS like this.
  3. castlev

castlev

Mar 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Even with no string on the saddle, the saddle doesn't even want to lift up off the base plate, because the intonation screw is so far back, its already such a a steep angle. I already drilled the string hole to fit the .165/.170, so it doesn't matter if i mondify the bridge more. I might try to drill the intonation hole half way from the saddle side towards the back of the bass to make the hole tapered.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Remove the bridge, drill the mounting screws smooth (probably @ 1/4 inch diameter bit), dowel or plug the holes with glue, level everything, drill new holes to the rear balancing the distance between having enough space to intonate the lowest string, but not so far back that you run out of room to intonate the highest string, and remount the bridge.

sissy kathy and mech like this.
  5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    You're using tapered strings? They usually intonate farther forward which can give you enough saddle travel.

Zooberwerx likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021