Offspring bassist??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassguy187, Jun 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    Anyone else think that guy from offspring had great tone in the album smash? I was wondering if anyone knew what he used on that, i'd guess a p-bass with a gallien krueger set up,
    but i don't know, just wondering.
  2. bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yeah, I like his tone. He uses Mesa Boogie cabs, GK head and a custom ibanez if I remember right.
  3. Here's what Greg K's setup is:
    (taken from

Ibanez ATK Bass (2)
    DR 105 Medium Strings
    Gallien-Krueger 2000 RB Bass Head
    Mesa Boogie 2x15 Cabinet
    Mesa Boogie 4x10 Cabinet
    Furman PL-8 Power Converter
    Sabine RT-1601 Rack Tuner
    Whirlwind Line Selector
    Sony Wireless System

I liked his tone better on "Ignition" personally... gotta love Dirty Magic...
  4. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    He has a custom Ibanez ATK300.
  5. I read somewhere that before smash (self-titled and ignition) he used an old P-bass. I'm suprised at his great tone on their self titled CD considering the shabby recording.
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I cant believe tat guy actually came up in here! Ohh man i think they are the most untalented band in the world! I was playing stuff like that in high school! They should have kept that in the garage! Iam not sure what was wrong with the guy that said wow man we should record that!
  7. Ignition and Ixnay on The Hombre are my two fav. Offspring cds. Yeah I like his tone alot too.
  8. Atkinson-Offspring especially old offspring rules, Greg K is a great bassist, and the band has talent, who cares what u were playing in high school, point is offspring has always played a hit em in the face style of punk and it rules, if u had not of abandoned your punk garage band maybe u too would be sitting pretty with millions of bucks, who knows?
  9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Trust me id much rather be playing the stuff i do now! I havent made millions but i didt do to bad! I wouldnt want to play like him because i wouldt want to be laughed at by the rest of the music world!
  10. Eric:

Greg K dosen't get laughed at by the rest of the musical world. Ignorant people like you get laughed at by the rest of the musical world.
  11. Eric: He isn't the best bassist ever, but by the standards of commercial punk rock, I'd say he's pretty good. He definitely does not get laughed at.

By the way, your idea of punctuation seems to be to put an exclamation mark at the end of every sentence. I found that funnier than Greg K's bass playing.
  12. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i laugh at him :D although he *used* to do some cool stuff ... like the intro to "Tehran" ... that's pretty sick, man. and Dirty Magic was the first song i ever learnt on the bass, too. so i guess i shouldn't guffaw at his root-noting attempts at bass playing too much ;) in all fairness tho, you can't expect too much from a punk bassist, unless you happen to be Matt Freeman. damn, woman ! that's some hot sh*t ! and take it easy on eric, man, he's cool, and could probably mop the f*cking floor with you two (yeah, YOU sedge and chaoslord ! :p). picking his grammar is weak, boys, real weak.
  13. I think the old stuff is more creative, but in the type of band he's in, he doesn't need to have complex lines, he's good how he is. But who agrees the bass break in "Crossroads" is the best thing ever?:D

P.S. - Jr, Ignition and Ixnay are my favs also! Weird, man.
  14. He doesn't always play the most complicated bass lines in the world, but what he does play sounds good, end of story.
  15. I suppose picking his grammar is a bit weak, i just noticed it and thought it might be a good idea. Sorry 'bout that.

I'm sure Eric could mop the floor with me, but thats not the point that I was disputing. I think that its very harsh to say that Greg K is a laughable bassist.

Fleabass89- Chocolate ice-cream is the best thing ever, but the bass break in "Crossroads" comes pretty damn close.:D
  16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm gonna pull an "Angus" and say...

17. Lemme weigh in with a little opinion here...

Do I think that The Offspring are the most talented band out there? no

Do I think that Greg K. is a wonderful bass player? no

Do I think that Greg K. does his job as a bass player? yes

If you think that Greg K. just root notes all of the time, you either can't hear his playing or haven't checked out the right songs. I personally think he's come up with some pretty creative lines.

I still don't get why you people feel the need to trash on so many of these bass players. Fieldy I can understand, but it has to end somewhere. This is music. It depends so much on taste and personal opinion that argument is really pointless. In fact, I would say it seems pretty juvenile.

One point that really got to me was this:

"I was playing stuff like that in high school."

This has no relevance to whether or not Greg K. is a good bass player. My friend has been drumming for slightly over a year, yet he can play stuff by Rush, Dream Theater, etc with relative ease. Is this to say that Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy are not talented drummers? Absolutely not!

Good lord people..... You know how it goes:
    If you can't say anything nice.........
  18. First off I don't care if he can wipe the floor with me or not. My talent as a bass player is not what was being discussed and since you've never heard me play and I've never heard Eric play I think it would be wise for you to not go there.

Secondly, I never said a single word about his grammer. I called him ignorant because he made two ignorant statements regarding how bad of a bass player Greg K is. In my opinion he is one of the better bassists out there, and ya know why ? Not because of his astonishing technical skill (which IMO gets a bit boring after awhile) but because he plays exactly what fits the song, not basslines that say "Hey look at me".
  19. Great tone? hummm ... That Greg guy is just a normal dude.. And The Offspring sucks... i can`t believe how they became so popular with such ****ty stuff they suddenly came up with after their 2 first records (wich I personally dont like)

I cant believe there`s a forum dedicated to that guy..
  20. The Offspring happen to be a top 10 band of mine. Not because they try to stand out, or have long solo's, but because their stuff sounds good. I happen to like a musician who plays what fits in, rather then just trying to get noticed. I'm sure every one of those guys wouldn't get noticed if they were alone, but they aren't, and formed what we like to call "a band" which plays together to make the "band" sound good as a "band" and not as a individual.

BTW, show some love to Americana, not their best CD by any account, but it had Have You Ever, and I like the lyrics to that song, even if the bassline is incredibly easy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.