Offspring: Love em'? Hate Em'? VOTE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cap, Mar 29, 2002.

1. I love em'

44 vote(s)
  2. I hate em'

30 vote(s)
  3. Could care less

28 vote(s)
  1. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Personally i love them....every album...almost every song...except that pretty fly for a white guy crap...hated that....what do you think?
  2. Ciaran

Apr 4, 2001
    I freakin' HATE them!
    The only band more boring than them is Travis.

well, you did ask.
  3. AllodoX no like happy punkrock..

AllodoX like agressive punk ( exploited ) & monster punk ( misfits ?! ) !
  4. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    true. or if it has a "happy" sound it should have a vulgar/controversial content/lyrics (ex. dead kennedys, anti-flag) IMO.
  5. Well I'm prepared to stand up and be counted - I think they're GREAT! And what's more I even like Pretty Fly for a White Guy.

I have Americana and Conspiracy of One. Are there any others worth getting?

I haven't been able to convince my band we should include some in our set - no-one can sing that high.

As for their lyrics - I wouldn't say they were tame!?
  6. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    LOL, what are you smoking? Anti-Flag doesn't have a happy sound at all. I was just gonna say Anti-Flag was agressive too.

But yeah, Smash is DECENT, and the rest of it is terrible. Bassist doesn't really show anything that great either.
  7. Here's my rating (OPINION!!!! Flame me if you want, you're the immature one) on all of The Offspring's albums:

Self-Titled: 9+ (fantastic POLITICAL punk)

Ignition: 9 (also fantastic punk)

Smash: 10 (one of my three favorite albums of all time, even though the "sellout" process started on this record. It sold 5 million copies on an independent record label, Epitaph, which is a GODLY RECORD LABEL that i hope to be signed to one day)

Ixnay on the Hombre: 8 (they abandoned Epitaph, another big step in the sellout process, but I like this album. It has my life theme song on it "Cool to Hate". The punk influence, although still present, is starting to deteriorate.)

Americana: 4- (FULL FORCED SELLOUT AT THIS POINT. I only like 4 songs on the album, and plus it has "Pretty Fly...", which DEFINED the sellout process and is the worst song they ever made IMHO. This album is wimpy and EXTREMELY mainstream sounding IMO, much like the two lastest Stink 182 albums. Tame as hell. I don't like it at all; almost never listen to it.)

Conspiracy of One: 6 (IMO, a definite improvement over Americana. I like most of the songs, even though they still are "mainstream" sounding. I like the title track, "Come out Swinging", and "Special Delivery" the most. Decent album; I listen to it FAR more freqently than Americana.)

Oh, and Bassbarbie: tell your vocalist to sing the songs an octave below. You don't get the awesome Dexter Holland growling highs, but trust me; most people singing in his octave sound like they've been kicked in the nuts. I sing pretty well, and i sound awful on many Offspring songs. Some I can really do though.
  8. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I liked the old Offspring...I think the new stuff is crap.
  9. I can't stand them. I haven't heard any of their stuff before they went radio and MTV big. Their cover of Smash by The Damned was decent, but I wouldn't consider anything else they do to be remotely close to Punk. Sounds pretty pop-rock to me. They would do great with AAF.
    And Epitaph has been shoveling out more crap then Carter has liver pills. They still have quite a few decent punk bands, but the skate/pop-punk has got to go. And Offspring's own Nitro is a big joke. They have only 3 or 4 bands who produce decent Punk music, and those bands are quickly becoming watered down versions of their former selves.
  10. Love's a pretty strong word, but I dig 'em.
  11. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Saw them last summer in Devore, CA. I was disappointed. Sloppy.
  12. I love Offspring...everything on their Ixnay CD is so damned coool....and everything else by them is exceptional.
  13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    IMO they´re OK. They´ve had some good songs, and some bad songs.

I voted for could care less.
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I could care less..They are OK..

15. word. I hate the pop-punk thing. You should check out Offspring's self titled; I think it's excellent. Not at the level of NOFX, Dead Kennedys or Propagandhi, for example, but I still love it. But pop-punk definitely has to go. Either that, or make it clear to the general public that they(poppy bands like Stink 182) have no idea what "punk" really means.
  16. Never cared much for them. Catchy, but far from punk. Our local hard rock station plays the hell out of them, and you find their songs sandwiched between Metallica, AC/DC, Skynrd, etc. etc.

By the way, ever noticed how much "She's Got Issues" sounds like "Hold On Loosely" by .38 Special?
  17. Thanks for the reviews Chris B. It would appear I like them after they've 'sold out' :D I will check out these other CDs though.

I find it interesting that it bothers people whether or not they're punk. Does it really matter how you classify them?

Unfortunately I am old enough to have seen the first wave of punk. Sadly at the time I was quite narrow minded as I considered most of them were not very good musicians, and therefore closed my ears to a lot of it. I liked bands like Led Zep, and Jethro Tull.

Funnily enough I can now happily enjoy much more music - even though I know they may well be poor masters of their instruments. That's age for you! Keep an open mind! :)
  18. Chris, you restored my faith that real Punk stil squirms around in Upstate NY. (I happen to hail from Geneva, NY)
    Another TBer had me doubting that it gets approval there.

Bassbarbie, It is a long fought out battle. I don't think anyone would have started thinking of stuff like The Offspring as punk if MTV hadn't pushed that label on them.
    It gives real punk a bad name.

19. If it's not Scottish, it's crap!
  20. I'm all about the offspring. I like em.