1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Offtopic=fluff?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by higgi, Apr 13, 2006.

1. The no politics rule seems to limit discussion in off topic to shoes, food, and underage dating tips. I am not a member of any other talk group. I have a common passion with people all over the world that meet here for fun. Wouldn't it be interesting to discuss our world and it's troubles? Sure people will get over excited now and then. Couldn't there just be a rule to temporally ban people for threatening others? Let's get rid of the fluff and talk about our lives.
    Just a thought.:)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So pay $20 to become a supporting member and discuss politics all you want in the Lounge.

3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Not true, figgy. Politics is just as banned in the lounge as it is here, but you can get away with some racier topics over there. Heck, why not just pay $20 to support a site that you obviously enjoy and view regularly?

-Nate

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yup, no politics in the Lounge anymore, and with TPA gone the Lounge basically turned into a religion forum. :D

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    TPA the politics forum is "closed" so 20$ will get you bupkis. The lounge has become a glorified R-rated OT and at times I fail to see why any topics now in the lounge couldn't function in OT. IMHO

6. Thanks for the sales pitch. Religion is much more personal that politics, how long will that be allowed?

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Clearly, OT is rated PG, and the Lounge would be PG-13. We can't get away with that much.

8. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I don't think it's a big deal to talk about issues in a mature way, and if someone steps out of line with personal attacks or what not, smack 'em with a timeout or banning. Maybe people FEEL attacked and get upset when they can't defend their positions?

Now, it's like "Oh TeH NOES!!!11!!!onE! Someone said something political!!!1!! MODS, h3lp!!!!!!"

9. Political discussion? That's a great idea! I have no doubt that members (supporting, non-supporting, and the usual variety of trolls that wander into the public forums) will be able to get a long fabulously while discussing political issues right here in Off Topic.

:ninja:

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I agree, that's really what your $20 (or more) does for you .... keeps TB operating. If you're only viewing it as an opportunity to have non-bass related discussions in an otherwise music-related forum you might be missing the primary purpose for TB being on the net .......

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I find that a lot of political discussions (whether it be on the 'net or real life) start under the guise of being "intellectual" and informative but quickly turn to show their true color, which is usually a whiny pissing match.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People do all those things you mentioned and more. They don't seem to share your limitation.

Maybe you should focus less on what you can't do and more on what you can.

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

agreed ... politics can be discussed on other bass related sites if you want ,
    but i doubt you'll find a friendlier bass community anywhere else ...

peace,
    dave

14. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    im with canopener on this one.

15. +1

Also, The idea of having to ban or timeout people for out of line behavior I believe would be too great of a task for even a team of people to handle. Someone would have to be on full time just "being the police" and IMO is a waste of time on the webs #1 BASS site.

There are more than plenty newsgroups and other boards to chat up the politics on.

I would hate to not have some of the (bass related) advice and wisdom from people on this board just because they didn't agree with my beliefs on politics and religion. And trust me, ANYONE can be petty when it comes to talking about that kind of stuff.

I say bring on the conversation about shoes and "what's the best cola", it keeps it light and fun in here.

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    +1 I was called a Nazi (I'm Jewish), Racist, Homophobe, White Supremacist, Oppressive in TPA, because many are to immature to do anything but name call or challenge the intelligence of a poster when they couldn't defend their positions. Many times I was challenged for things I didn't necessarily believe in because I DARE asked a question of supposed conventional wisdom. Yes I must admit I did some name calling myself. I once called someone a "liberal" on TPA, it's shocking but true their were some unconfessed liberals on TPA. But I tried to avoid running to mods ( I did it once when a poster I tried to ignore got repeatedly personal) because their were plenty of good people on all sides at TPA who were capable of carrying on good discussions. Occasionally we actual had some "Great dialog" I truly miss.

As far as the 20$ Paul (If he really exist:D ) truly runs a great forum here with great content for bass players or even "normal people":p Well worth the bread IMHO

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    NO! Off Topic deals with hard hitting topics!! Like "What pies do you like" and "I"M LEAVIN TALCBAZZ 4EVA!!111"

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Totally. I was looking around the Lounge the other day, and I wondered to myself why some threads were even in there. Some of the thread subjects were even more juvenile that what pops up "out here" sometimes.

-Mike

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You're all forgetting something that is key - pay your 20 bucks and you get to discuss the Qintar all you want.

bc

20. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Hmm..Me too! I was called a nazi, racist, and a homophobe too! I even got threatened that I was going to be "punched in the nose". Gash, I miss the good old days of TPA!