1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oh and btw here's 19 songs

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bearfoot, Jun 12, 2018.

1. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Download i real pro. Odds are it has every song that BL wants you to play. It’s a great app that substitutes the old fake book we used to carry around. It has charts, a recording to practice with, and the ability to change keys. Every musician that plays weddings should have this app.. the best part is it is FREE!

bearfoot likes this.
  2. Truth in hyperbole.

In jazz you can get away with murder by playing little chromatic runs and grabbing the next root. If you accidentally step on the next root a beat early just double it and the one other bassist who was too chicken to take the gig might or might not notice.

So you are just reading the first note of each bar and blagging the rest by ear. Half the notes are wrong and half are right but the wrong ones are passing notes to right ones so actually correct.

All the roots that you get right are stellar, the bass genius in you ones that you grab are awesome and the net result is you are a jazz bassist and you didn't even know it.

monsterthompson likes this.
  3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Get to work and Good Luck.

Depth_Charge likes this.
  4. Unless I missed something, he never agreed to supply charts.

6. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    That all went off fairly well. We didn't use all 19 songs.

There was time for 2 practices, on the porch of an 1800's farmhouse in Maryland. Really interesting, fun wedding, rather like a play.

Casualties: 1. my similarly 1800's top hat took a dent. Totally my fault, I always travel with it in a box, but put it in the car at the last minute this time. That hat was pristine , until now.

2. Bass amp failed utterly at the moment of showtime. Yes, it was THAT nightmare. No idea what's wrong, it was working perfectly, actually also used for dinner music just minutes prior (it's a full-range, SWR California Blonde). Turns on, but no sound whatsoever. Bummer. Had to run bass through a pair of tiny PA speakers that also had piano/vocal going through it. We made do. Didn't sound bad , except when I farted out the speakers on a low wah effect during "Witchy Woman". Turned the effect off after that.

It was a cool bunch of musicians. Drummer was the quietest and most tasteful, volume-sensitive drummer you could ask for. Everybody was a Pro and spot on. Always nice to work with solid people.

7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    That's why I always bring a back-up head.

bearfoot likes this.
  8. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Right on. I always bring a backup PA head when I'm running sound. This was a combo amp that blew. First time for everything...

lfmn16 likes this.
  9. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Awesome, good to hear it went well! I also am in a band with a smart drummer that recognizes the need to control his dynamics. It's a godsend.

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I bring a backup PA head too. Stuff happens.