Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oh bass amp gods please help me with ohms, proper loads and blah blah blah

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ekimosis, May 25, 2005.

1. ekimosis

ekimosis

May 25, 2005
    ok...i think this is an easy one

i have an old carvin bass pro 300. the back says 300 watts minimum impedence 2 ohms. i had it with the original speakers but eventually they have gone bad. i saw an ampeg bse410h cabinet for $250 i bought it cause it seemed like a great price. when i hooked it all up i started getting a hiss and some other noises, especially when i turn it up loud. i looked at the back and it says its 8ohm impedence. after lurking around here it seems like i have an ohm problem. i really dont know what to do here. the carvin has a button to "biamp" and two 1/4 outputs so im guessing that is for bridging. the ampeg has two "full range imputs". will these two be compatible in any way? do i simply need a new head or should i get a new cab or both? i have some money to spend on this id neccesary, i just dont know what to buy or if i even need to buy anything at all. ill take any suggestions, in fact i wouldnt mind a few options and outakes on the situation.

your help is GREATLY appreciated! you are the bass gods!

Justin

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    BAD BAD BAD Don't connect the two inputs. Are the origional speakers still connected? If so thats your problem.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Go buy two 4ohmers! I'm no amp god though.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the noises could indicate problems with the speaker. however, does the ampeg have a horn? and did your original cab not have one? in that case that may be the hiss you're hearing. even if both have horns the ampegs tweeter may be different and hiss more.

dont plug both outputs into that one speaker!!!!!!!!!!!

its not so much that the speaker will get damaged as that the two poweramps arent supposed to be plugged into the same load.

i suggest going into the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum and clicking on the link for the Ohms FAQ. that will getyou started.

5. ekimosis

ekimosis

May 25, 2005
    The old speakers are not connected. how would i know if the problem is in the speakers rather than this ohm problem? all the speakers have the hiss in them and they dont sound "blown". The new one does have a horn and I dont think the old one did but i could be wrong. the his is coming from the bass speakers though, not the horn.

also, it would be easier for me to get a new head rather than a new cab. i could do either really but the head was made in 1982 so im guessing its a bit aged.

6. ekimosis

ekimosis

May 25, 2005
    any other suggestions?

7. 44me

44me

Jun 17, 2002
    Bedford, NH USA
    There’s no problem with connecting an 8 ohm cab to your amp. Other than the hiss, how does it sound? Are you sure that there is no hiss coming from the horn? The only way for that to be possible is for it to be off, or at least turned way down. Is it louder than before, or does it sound really thin? If it’s thin it’s likely set to bi-amp, with the cab connected to the high frequency output. Make sure it is not set to bi-amp.

- John