1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh boy another Roger Waters Strings question lol..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ChorusPedal88, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    Now I'm involved in a light hearted argument about Roger Waters, IMHO the strings he used for One of These Days (Pompeii version) are Roundwounds, my buddy here seems to think he used flats for it, because I always thought to get that driving sound a good set of Rounds would be a step in the right direction..now I'm not so sure lol.

Many thanks in advance.

2. I think you could get that clank out of either. Really just smack the strings down and let em bounce off the frets a bit I think..

but idk =:smug:

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    In the Live At Pompeii footage, they look like rounds to me.

4. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, I don't think he could get that rattly, clanky twang with flats. Check out the jam section of Echoes, the strings both look and sound like rounds. Compared to other live recordings it sounds much different.

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Roger Waters uses Rotosound '77 Jazz Flats exclusively. I've seen Live at Pompeii many times and have never had the impression that he was using roundwounds. The only shot in "Echoes" that you really get a good look at his strings is very brief and they honestly look like flats to me. His sound seems slightly overdriven and him playing with a relatively heavy pick-style close to the bridge might give him that twangy growl we hear.

In all of the pictures I've seen and everything I've read about Roger Waters (being a big fan, of course) I've only heard about him using Rotosound Jazz Flats, and nothing else. They might have strung his bass with rounds for this particular recording, but I don't see why they would have and personally, I'm thinking he's just using flatwounds as usual.

6. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    Rotosound flatwounds are very bright and growly for flats so its entirely possible he used them , listen to Steve Harris from Iron Maiden , he uses Roto flats and hes got the clankiest tone ive heard

7. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    +1

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There is often a big difference between rock stars and the rest of us "mere mortals"....!! :p

So they will have guitar techs who will put new strings on for every show - meaning they have really bright strings - even flats!

Whereas most strings lose this brightness after about a week.

That's one reason why it's not worth hankering after sounds you hear from pros - just go for your own sound through trial and error as it is often a futile exercise ...:meh:

9. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Meddle was released in 1971 and is my favorite album of all time. Better than Dark Side, IMO. I read somewhere that the bass line intro to One of These Days was doubled. In any case Waters used Roto flats for a long long time, and although he MAY have used rounds for this tune, my money is on he didn't. Perhaps live he may have switched to rounds, but I think in those days it would be uncommon for someone to have multiple basses, one strung with rounds for live use. it even sounds like flats to me. I can hear what sounds like doubling with guitar.

Anyone who doesn't own Meddle owes it to themself to get it!

10. ChorusPedal88

ChorusPedal88

Aug 25, 2007
    Definately, and yeah I'm aware about the Meddle version, I was referring to the Live at Pompeii version :p

11. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    That's why I say - thank God for the treble knob(s)! :smug: I don't know what I'd do without them.

12. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    woops sorry, my bad. I gotta read a little slower.