Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh boy, do I need help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Aug 24, 2000.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    As far as I've come as a bassist, the only amplification I've ever used has been combos. But I'm sick of "full range" 1 speaker crap and getting a head/cab(/cab) seems to be the way to go. But what should I do? What should I get?

I like headroom. My combos always clip on me or sound muddled when I'm loud. I played through a stack at GC and it was SO LOUD and really clear, an Ampeg SVT IV (1600 watts or something). I can't afford that though.

I want a clear sound and hear that "bi-amp" is the way to go. Is that only possible in a stereo amp? Now to me, that means having 2 cabs, 1 for low end, the other for high and mid. Is there a single cab that you can bi-amp?

I have a fetish for SWR. They have a great sound. I was thinking the Bass 750 would be cool, but is it biampable? Is there an SWR amp that may be good for me that I don't know about?

I'm so confused... help me! ::runs cowering into the corner of bedroom::

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    This is the shotgun answer to nick the phrase.

1 Bi-amping is when you split the frequency into high bits and low bits. Some head/cab systems allow you to do it.
    THe Trace Elliot 1000w head and BFC do this. I had an old combo that had a bi amp out (high only) that enabled another amp and cab to be used.

2 Stereo two full range outs. Though you could use say 10s on one side and 15s the other.

3 Your WM10 gives 80w into the internal 10 but 100w into an extension cabinet. Adding a 4x10 or 1x15 cab would give you more headroom. Using 15s will give more bottom end. Obviously this will not give the same sound as a stack.

4 The last stack I tried was the HK basssbase 400
    It sounded mighty fine with a 4x10 and a 1x15. Can your wallet and back afford a stack?

The above might not help but keeps the thread in the daily search for future discussion.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, I'm going to try to work at Guitar Center Or Sam Ash, so I'm gonna try to get one at a cut rate price. Of course, if I wanna work there, I better damn well know this kind of stuff. I'm also gonna trade my Ampeg B2 combo in on it.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mr. rojo, I have some very good news for you. You don't have to know anything to work at GC. You're welcome.

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    LOL! Very funny, and very true!

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Biamping is really outdated technology that allows the amp distribute power effectively to high and low frequencies. Most newer amps, including the SWR stuff you like, aren't biamped because they don't need to be in order to drive boths sets of frequencies.
    Don't confuse biamping with amps that have stereo, or two, power amps in one head. Lots of newer amps( including some SWR) have stereo amps but each channel covers the whole frequency spectrum (unlike biamping).Also don't confuse biamping with bridging which simply joins two stereo channels together as one single mono channel.I have an Eden stereo head that I use in the bridged configuration.It gets the most bang for the buck when using a single cabinet.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hey Dave ... doesn't your Eden head have a built-in crossover for bi-amping? I disagree a little about bi-amping, too. If you're running two cabs, like a 210 and a 118, I think you're better off sending all the lows (everything below 50 hz ~ 150 hz, pick a frequency) out of one side of the amp and everything else through the other. I think it's very inefficient to run a full range signal to a big speaker if you don't have to. Also, this pulls some of the mud out of those little tens and gives them the chance to sparkle a bit. Whaddya think?

8. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    I don't use biamping so I won't comment much, just that I think you can get the same clairity from todays heads.

SWR is solid. I play a workingmans 2 10s and a 15. Sure it's two cabs but they are very managable, and if you're gigging it's important.

And when I purchased a rig, after for years playing through a combo, I was blown away by the upgrade in tone, and I think biamping would have been overkill for me. Gook luck.

9. BigAlex

BigAlex

Jun 12, 2000
    Personally I'd stick with SWR. They've got the best stuff... bottom line. I may be a little biased b/c thats what I play although I could go for some of their pro line (ive got a workingmans setup). Anyway, I've heard only good things about the Big Ben although I kind of like the sound of 15s better. As for the biamped thing, I think if you want a really good sounding rig its a good move. If I had the cash thats what I'd do. My 2 cents.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do disagree with you BigAlex...

First of all, SWR, while they make some nice stuff, cannot be considered the best unless everybody in the world agrees that it is, and I DON'T! In other words, something is only best to the listener or player who feels it is such. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that you've found what's best for you.

Second of all, I play an EBS Fafner (which TO ME is the best). I do not biamp. The amp doesn't even have that option. It doesn't need it.

And, I'll tell you a little secret...it doesn't make even the slightest difference to me. This amp of mine is full, punchy, crystal clear, and covers any frequency I need to without getting muddy. Period. Some of the "highest end" amps in the world are not biampable, because it is simply not necessary anymore.