Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OH boy Gas attack (MM Stingray 5)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Mar 10, 2005.

1. I made the mistake of walikng into the local shop. The Just got in a new Musicman Stingray 5

Maple neck with a Trans Orange/Honey finish with a Killer wood grain. :bawl: If it ain't one thing it's another :D

BTW what is the popular bass color.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not sure what you mean by the color, it could be trans orange or honey burst?
    What do you mean 'what is the popular bass color?'

3. Its not a burst because it is the same across the whole body It is just like a warm trans orange I guess

I was just curious what are popular colors in Bass bodies

4. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Just vouching for the SR5 and how great of a bass it is. If you need more of a gas attack I'll send you a link to a funk song I did with the jazz big band here at college. I have a Warwick strung with flats that I use for most of the stuff we do (and have a thread up with 3 of the songs we did) but this particular song definitely called for the Stingray. Mine is Burnt Apple with a maple neck. I love it, let me know if you want the link to the song :bassist:

5. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    By the way the color of the bass you describe I'm almost positive is trans orange. Go to bass central's site and look up Stingray5's...I'm pretty sure the 3rd bass down (trans orange one) is the color you're talking about, although it has a rosewood board.

6. I just picked up used SR5 that was a Vintage Sunburst type of color and it rocks. I got GAS for one after I played a brand new one at Guitar Center. They would sell alot more instruments if they kept new strings on 'em. The sound was night and day. I know where you've been bro and I've seen the other side and it is good!!! :bassist:

Hofbrauhaus...i'd like to check out the little funk diddy of yours. PM me the link if you don't mind my man.

Here's my new 'Ray. Sorry if this doesn't help :p

Attached Files:

7. Trans orange is it and it had that pearloid pickguard two.

So what do you think?

8. Sure I'd love to hear it

9. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Not a bad looking bass at all, although orange wouldn't be my personal color of choice. I love MM's burst finishes though, they're so gorgeous. Here's my burnt apple SR5 as well as that sound clip. I trade 4s with the drummer and bongo player around the middle of the song, so please excuse the "wanking"...the jazz instructor was all about the slap and that was what he wanted me to do (surprising since he's a bass player as well, I figured he'd be more critical!)

http://www.gettysburg.edu/~hesswi01/GBurg Jazz - Stingray5 with Stainless Slinkies/

10. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    Sorry pic was too big the first time....here she is!

Attached Files: