Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh boy...Help!?!...EBAY Dillema

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, May 20, 2004.

1. Hey guys i just won a bid for a SWR cab that was said to be a goliath III for 400$...good deal youd think. I thought so too until i got more pics after auction that tells me this cab is not a III at all and its actually a Goliath I...the guy had the listing as its a newly used goliath III even went as far to list what SWR had it its summary of the Goliath III. What would yall say and or do to this. Ive contacted the sellnig telling him the auction is null and void due to false advertisement and representation of the cab and that i will not pay the 440 (shipping included) which i would have if it was a real goliath III. Is tehre anything else i should do , notify ebay?, etc... this could just be a mistake by a careless person but it could be a scam to take peoples money i cant really tell. Any advise would be welcomed and greately appreciated.

-Vince

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do you even want the actual cab you won? Maybe you could work out a compromise with the person if it was an honest mistake.

-Mike

3. If its an Goliath I i dont think so the pics he showed showed the back with some beak up features so i wouldnt want to pay much for it. Besides its ahrd to make the mistake he did especially when i asked him 2 times if it was the Goliath III and he responded yes and that it was a different grill covering.

-Vince

4. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Inofrom Ebay about this. I am very sure that what this person has done is breaching some sort of contract or law. you cannot advertise something and then give them something else. just phone up the people at ebay and tell them whats happened, and then phone up the con-man who you bought it from, and say that what he has done is illegal (i am posotive it is illegal) and then see what he says.
    But you shouldn't have to cough up on this one. What would be good is if ebay say as long as he gives you the one advertised its ok. So therefore you could get your goliath III brand spankin' new!

5. Im awaiting on his reply to this:

"I think we may have a bit of a problem...this cab is a SWR Goliath I not an SWR Goliath III which you had listen on ebay...Eden made speakers for the origional Goliaths the new Goliath III's are made by emminance or SWR's own speakers if im not msitaken. That and the back panal on this cab is not that of the Goliath III.If this is the case the bid will have to be null and void due to false advertisement either knowingly or unknowingly by you're part. The cab which i believe in you're posession is an SWR Origional Goliath cab which is rated at 400 watts not the 700 that the III is listed at. This cab is probably worth 250 id say. Did you know about this not being the Goliath III cab?

-Vince"

I dont think id be able to get a new cab out of this deal thatd be sweet but i dont know if they could hold the guy to that.

-Vince

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Simple. Don't pay. Offer the seller to relist the item correctly, and agree not to issue ANY feedback to each other. Problem solved.

There's no way you can force him to sell you a Goliath III if he doesn't have one. If you don't want the Goliath I, then simply don't buy it. Worst case scenario, he posts negative feedback about you, and you then post a comment in response that you didn't pay because he tried to send an item other than that as specified in the auction.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I suggest that if he says it was his mistake and lets you off the hook, you let it slide.

If he is a pain about it, report it to eBay.

Everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes its how you deal with your mistakes that makes the difference.

Peace
    Nick

8. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    That is so very true. LOL you know what, if you do have to buy it, why don't you sell it on ebay advertised as the goliath III aswell

10. It's really pretty cut and dry. You didn't bid on nor are you interested in the item he wants to ship. You are only interested in a III and not a I. He doesn't have a leg to stand on.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree with the others...don't pay. Keep being polite, don't cloud the issue with a bunch of side issues...he misrepresented the cabinet as being something its not.

I believe that ebay will intervine on your behalf as far as negative feedback goes if the seller tries to zing you for not paying for a bogus auction. I'm not positive though.

It is probably a good idea to contact ebay and tell them what's going on and why you don't intend on paying for the auction. Make sure you don't delete any email correspondance between you and the seller. If he's say yes, yes its a GIII and some one looks at the pictures posted in the auction and a picture of a real GIII, it doesn't take an expert to see that he wasn't selling one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3723855820&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Were the pictures up when you bid? If so, you need to be more careful before you bid in the future. Since you were asking questions...always a good thing to do to feel out the seller, you were doing a pretty good job of being careful...but you gotta study those pictures, really study them. Look for flaws, tears in the carpet, ask about creasing of the cones, etc. If a seller doesn't seem to want to answer your questions, walk away. There will be a bunch more like it next week...that's the beauty of eBay.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Because then he isnt making a mistake. Thats flat out lying.

Peace
    Nick

13. That would be the big question. I don't see anything saying the Ebay ad was ammended. The two pictures of the cab CLEARLY show a Goliath. All the seller did was take the info that's posted for the Goliath 4x10 on the SWR web page and drop that into his ad. Who can say that was malicious or just clueless as someone bidding on an ebay auction without photos or photos of something he didn't want.

PS. I have nothing to do with this auction.

14. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Well, it can get worse. If you dont pay, he can not only leave a negative feedback, but he can leave a NPB (non-paying bidder) report. But he did do false advertising, so just try to wrok out a deal with him. Try not to get eBay involved unless he gets nasty with you.

15. I noticed the goliath grill immedately and contacted him and he said it was just a diff grill on the III so i waited to see the pics from behind to tell the truth. I recieved his email today and he was very policte and sincere and seems to be young like myself and got ripped off and honestly thought it was what he though it was. Its a done deal i may buy it off him for a a smaller amount of $$$ or we will just drop it as if it never happened. Thanks alot guys i appreciate it.

-Vince

16. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you are seriously considering buying the Goliath I, insist on clear photos from each woofer so that you can check for creasing.

Creasing occurs when the woofer exceeds it's maximum excursion causing a fold in the cone that usually occurs near the surround all the way around.

If the cones are creased, the speaker really needs to be reconed...a procedure that costs at least $50 per speaker.

That cabinet is old and probably has a lot of hours on it. The woofers could be in really good shape or they could be just a few hours away from self-destructing.

If this guy is young and inexperienced like you say, I'd walk away unless you get very clear pictures of each cone and get a great deal on the cabinet.

Based on what happened already...I'd probably walk.

Good luck and be careful!!!!

17. Right on man thank you. If i do decide to take the plunge what would yall say is a good price for it the oisties have what you expect as far as wear and tear. Ill defiantely ask for speaker pics tho.

-Vince