1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oh Boy....Here we go, already !?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by buzzbass, Aug 19, 2007.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    :rollno:

I auditioned for these guys 2 weeks ago, and had a 2nd this past wednesday night.

www.exitzerorocks.com

At the end of the 2nd audition I got to play 20 questions, and satisfied with my answers, they asked me to join. Today I get an email concerning tomorrow night's rehearsal, what songs we're doing etc. At the bottom of the email there a special note to me. One to say welcome and one to say that they don't want me to play the bass line to a particular song, Slither-Velvet Revolver, the way I've been playing it :confused: . It's right, we went over it not for note, to make sure everyone was on the same page. the 2 gui****s play the riff tuning the E string to D, an then bouncing off the open D to play the riff. I do not. I play the line with no open strings bouncing off the 3rd fret D, on my B string. This way I can transpose it into any key, if needed, and my fingering will always be the same. I do realize that it's much more of a workout for me this way, but I really don't mind. And, it sounds good.

The thing that's bugging me is that they seem to be pretty insistant that I do it their way, they even tabbed it out for me in the email. I think it's a bit disrespectful for them to be pushing this point, especially when I have far more gigs, experience, etc. etc. It was casually mentioned at the end of last practice, and I politely explained why I'm doing this. If it sounded bad, or was wrong, I could see the point. I have a 5 string bass, I don't NEED to tune down. Yet, the email is there clear as day. It's phrased nicely, but I can read between the lines.

The band has had problems holding and finding bass players, I think I know why now. I'm going to practice tomorrow night, and playing it the same way I always have. Other bands I played it with never complained. If I hear anymore of this, I'll finish practice and politely tell them, " thanks, but the vibe I fealt at 1st, suddenly is gone. I wish you well in your endeavors, but I'm outta here". I'm not going to say why, I'm not going to make a big deal of it. I'll just say thanks, but no thanks.

I think I've caught a glimpse of a general disrespect (that maybe a bit strong of a word) of bassists, by the band, and I don't like it. They don't gig much right now, and do have a suitable sub who helps them now. I was going to bring me and 2-3 gigs more per month to the table. With their regualrs, that would've been 4-6 a month. I want to play out, but I don't want to have to put up with this kind of silly BS to do it.

What would you guys do, am I over reacting here ?

2. Ditch them now. Don't even waste your time doing the rehearsal if you think that they will ultimately disrespect you. Be nice, disengage and move on to the next group.

3. dean82

dean82

Aug 14, 2007
    I vote you bow out as well. Its one thing to ask you to play a song a certain way before they see you play it but after...and played correctly, thats just wrong. This sounds like a band that wants a 4 string player that strings his bass with 4 low E's.

4. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    their loss

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "Gee, thanks for the constructive input. I'm glad you brought the subject up because I feel there are several things the guitar player, drummer and singer need to change as well in order to meet my approval....."

NEXT!

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Agreed.

7. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If they are totally adamant that you do it their way, it sounds like time to politely excuse yourself, if explaining to them why you do it differently, but correctly.
    FWIW, when one of my old bands used to play that song, I tried both ways. 4-string detuned and 5-string in standard. I found for the feel, and sound that best complimented our playing the song, detuning was the better match.

8. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    W T F . Yeah, if you're playing the right notes, why should it matter? Tell them that you'll change the day their singer puts some more emotion into her version of that Audio Slave song.

9. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    POWER TRIP-CONTROL-POWER TRIP

a D is a D, anyway you slice it. detuned E on a 4 str, 3rd fret B on a 5er. whats the difference? next will they'll be telling you WHICH finger to use???? and what color socks you should wear? :eek:

IMHO....a power trip. i'd think they're trying to send a message (or creating a test situation) taking immediate CONTROL of you. WAY TOO controlling. be prepared for more of the same to come, if you decide to tough it out. :rollno:

i think they're TESTING you (to see if you will "follow orders".)

i'd state my case that a D is a D, where/how its played is immaterial....unless there is some *sensible valid technical reason* they can provide, I'd stand my ground.
    i'd put the weight on them to provide legit reasoning.

i'd see where that goes, if they can't grant you *any* creative licence (down to finger position on a note!) and it turns ugly....well , you know.

as always..FWIW, YMMV, blah blah blah......DUC

10. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    They certainly sound like a bunch of control freaks, don't they? At that second audition, did you ever consider subjecting them to a game of 20 Questions - just to level the playing field and to see how they'd react?

They're satisfied with your musicianship sufficiently to invite you into the band. Yet they don't trust your musicianship sufficiently to permit you to play the parts according to your own musical judgment? :meh:

Ultimately you've gotta trust your instincts on this. Personally, I'd be inclined to confront the issue directly, rather than be vague and indirect about it, the way you've suggested. Either reply to their email, or approach the issue with them when you arrive for rehearsal tomorrow. It might just be interesting to find out exactly why they're so adamant that you play it their way.

If you find their reasons and/or their attitude unsatisfactory, and they still refuse to budge, then walk away from them immediately. But tell them exactly why you're leaving - and don't mince words... :eyebrow:

MM

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, what do you expect? You're trying to play rock on a five-string.

12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Sounds like a case of guitarists who just don't understand bass. If that's the only reason why the gui****s in Buzzbass' new band don't want him to play the parts in his own way, then he's probably better off getting out right now - not only because of their control freak behavior, but because they're ignorant... :rolleyes:

MM

13. Buzz,

I don't think you're over reacting either. Constructive criticism ("what would it sound like if it was a __ instead of a __?") is one thing, but a gui**** (I LOVE that term! :D lol) telling you how to play your bass and even going so far as to tab it out for you? C'mon...

It sounds like you've gotten a good idea of how they operate. I'd give them one more practice and if they say something again, *politely* (that being the key word) explain/justify why you're playing it the way you are. Obviously, they'll either understand or they won't.

If they persist with their madness, I agree that it would probably be best to just say that you don't think it's going to work out and split. It sounds like if you tell them the real reason, they would probably wind up calling YOU the ____ because it just seems like that's the way they think. :rolleyes:

There are other musicians out there with much more professional attitudes that you'll enjoy working with MUCH more than these guys.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

5sg

14. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    that's exactly how it's gone in other bands for me too. I'm hoping this time will be the same.

15. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Oh snap !! that was good one, you're going to get me lynched. LOL. My personal jury is still out on a girl singing heavy music, by my hat is off to her for trying.

16. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    LOL, sage observations from Munji. he has wisdom beyond us all :)

17. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    thanks for the input so far guys. I'm going to learn 2 or 3 more new songs for tomorrow night and explain that I haven't "re-visited" Slither just yet. If there is anything more made of it, well....you know. Shame, it seemd like it would at least be more fun than sitting at home playing by/with myself :D

18. the woman singing on the soundclips is painful to listen to.

19. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    so you're saying that this is a project doomed to failure ? I beginning to wonder this exact thing myself.

20. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The only reason I got a 5 string, after 30 years of playing bass, is the drop D so often used in so many songs. My alternative was an octave pedal, and that kinda sucked. I've never been a fan of alternate tunings on bass . Stay your ground, they seem like wankers anyway. And, good bassists are a much rarer commodity than gui****s, so it's much easier for us to land a spot in a band.