Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh Boy

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bassbully43, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Well...went into a new bar last week just to check it out and see if my band could get in the door....well they offer us the ST. Pats party this week:hyper: thats great but i am new to the band and never have played out with them.The band was not quite ready we are still a month from getting out...learning more songs etc.. so we can cover a 3-4 hour set. Any tips on covering 3 hour set on 30 or less classic rock covers? We can jam out on alot of songs and have say 3 breaks on the night but i am worried. Is it unheard of to re-peat songs late in the nite you did early on? We get one practice on thursday to run thru the set and dont have time to add many more:help:

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Not at all. I've done this in almost every band I've been in, at least in the beginning when we didn't have enough material. Just say that someone requested it. Most folks won't care if or even know, especially if it's a good dance tune.

Nothing like gigging under a bit of pressure to get your attention. IMO, it's good experience. Good luck, have fun.

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks blue...yea we got some goodies to dance to.This band is new and i have posted my rants here before but we are excited but nervious...at least i am...there are a couple of songs i have a small problem in a part or two but i look at this as a challange and it will make me stronger and a better player in the end or come the next day after the gig i might be selling all my gear:smug:

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Just remember if you screw up, quickly glare over at the guitar player. :)

5. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    LOLOLOL...really does that work?:smug: any other great tips guys. I figure since i stay towards the back by the drums most people dont see me anyhow.

6. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    For your popular songs, add double solos, repeat first verse, etc.

You can stretch out Johnny B. Goode for a long time, if need be.

7. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Dig, thanks...i think we are good at this already...we drag out fool for your stockings and tush forever into great guitar jams as long as they dig it we will keep playin it. We have a few long songs like roadhouse blues,sweetjane,cocaine, rocky mountain way, so i hope these will fill in the spaces....the good thing is we do like to jam.

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. That's the answer.

Joe

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you need new classic rock'ish songs in a hurry, CCR is your best friend...

10. +1

Also, make your singer do the work.

Johnny B Goode = Sloop John B
    I Saw Her Standing There = Crazy Little Thing Called Love (sort of)

Basically, lots of songs are the same as others, just with different lyrics. If you can work out some of them, you add instant songs!!

Good luck, and have a great show

11. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    You can always do a 15 minute version of "Cocaine." :p

12. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    is there any other way:smug:

13. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Great idea! We are adding Johnny...and i think we might throw in suzy Q also. We are over 30 songs now and we added a jamming guitar player i need to keep those pesky butterflies down Tminus1 day and counting.

14. Paddy

Paddy

Apr 19, 2005
    Kent England
    We've used this - it's a neat little trick and can come across as a slick medley if done right.

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes. A fifteen-minute version of Rocky Mountain Way (don't let it drag, now!).

Joe

16. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    GOtta rock those mountains!!!!!!!!!!:bassist:

17. What my bands been doing recently is kind of...

Imagine...on stage, runnng out of stuff...

singer: Lets do "such-and-such"
    me: ah yeah, don't know it to PLAY but...what key shall we do it in?
    singer : G
    me: ok
    drummer: eh? what we doing?
    singer & me: just do a rock 4/4 or the beat for "Shakin' all over"...you'll recognise it
    drummer: ok

JAM baby!

(You'd actually be amazed how well it works out...! - DON'T DO IT TILL YOU RUN OUT OF STUFF THOUGH! - the audience will be pissed enough to not notice ANY mistakes and will applaud you like hell)

18. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    We did an average set for our area which is 4 hour set with 3 breaks 20 min per break ...so we play for 3 hours. Since we like to jam and we had a few talks between songs with the crowd we cut the last set short and had a few songs left over:eek: I was shocked i thought we would be short...not even close our whole set list was 30 songs.

19. That's cool...glad to hear it worked out well for ya. Yeah it's surprising how fast time flies, esp. during breaks when everyone's drinking and hitting on women...usually it flies way too fast for us and I have to drag everyone back on stage, we usually end up cutting 4-5 songs from our third set as a result...argh!

20. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Szvonek...that band of yours is crazy fun....mine is a bit older...well ok alot older:rolleyes: I see you guys do the Put Out Bay....thats gotta be some wild times up there....i would love to play there during the Xmas in July. I am North of you in a city that one of the guys in your band was dressed like a band that was famous from here.,