Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh brother...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by McHack, Feb 23, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I've been putting time into this project for a couple of months now, & this past Friday, we had our first performance. A 6 song set, which covers around 30 minutes.

I must say, I had my expectations set low. I've complained of our singer in the past, but it really came true. He was completely cornball, he sounded bad, & didnt enthral the audience one bit. I got my hands a couple of MP3's, & the band itself, sounds just fine. But, the singer just kills us.

I cant take it, & need to come up with a civil way to say, thx its been fun, but I've lost interest.

2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    how about..
    you're fired.

next!

3. Robert TPB

Robert TPB ThePerfectBass.com

Dec 13, 2005
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Or

"See the door? Use it."

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It's not as simple as firing a singer. The singer is the band leader, & we use his work as our practice facility. Pretty much, I have to just quit.

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    The singer is either going to feel insulted or enlightened that they could use lessons.

Don't degrade your sense of accomplishment over that.

Let them down easy.

DCat,

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

is the rest of the band aware of your feelings about the " singer " ?

seems to me , if you and the rest of the band sound good together ,
    it's time to dump the problem child , and just move on ...

jmo , take with large grain of salt .

peace

EDIT :
    i just read your second entry , at least talk to the rest of the band first ....
    practice facility aside , what else does he provide ?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Wow, the lead throat, who's the band leader, sux. Man, that is a pickle. If the rest of the band doesn't share your feelings, then maybe you should bail. If they do, then give him the bum's rush.

8. Hard as it may be for you, I believe that you will be a better person if you actually explain to the guy why you want him out.

Just bailing on him only leaves him out there for other bands (and audiences) to suffer. Let him know that he needs to take training, work on his patter etc.

It is the harder option, obviously, but he deserves your honesty if nothing else.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Been there. The band quits and doesn't tell him about next week's rehearsal.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Been there. The drummer and I quit, and formed our own band. The guitar player sortof agreed that the lead singer sucked, but it was his girlfriend. :meh:

Marshall

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Anyone else start singing a Soggy Bottom Boys song when they read they read the thread title......

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii am a man.... :D

-Mike

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It is done.

Its a relief.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA