Oh cabbie! What have i got....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryco, Jun 10, 2005.

1. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm thinkin' TheOx would appreciate this - being a refined gentleperson of exquisite taste. I bought this sunn cab offa standup player for $100 a buncha years ago. Anyone ever hear of this? MOD # SPL-8028 features an ev 12 and ev 18. Cab measures 40"h 24"w 20"d and came with a back brace :kidding:. Can be run to an internal passive x-over (700w prog 375w rms 4o) or can run biamp in (mid: 300w prog ,150w 8o; bass: 400w prog 225w rms 8o). Is this a true bass cab or a PA cab? Cannot distort it. I run it in conjunction with a marshall bass cab featuring 4 x 12 for highs. I bought the marsh off of a guitar player buddy who used it to set plants on (??!!) for $100. He has a full marsh stack anyway. I didn't know marshall even made bass gear - but there it is on the back -- "type bass stock # 1935". Don't know what it has for speakers - too many screws to take out for curiosity sake. This is quite the set up. Unfortunately there aren't many places to use it around here. I've used it at a few outdoor gigs. It sounds great in the garage but it scares the kitties.
  2. Sounds like good grabbin' you got there.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's a Sunn Coliseum Bass Cab. They were sold with the Sunn Coliseum Bass head. Was apparently such a kickass cab, that Line 6 decided to emulate it in their presets for the BassPOD XT or whatever it's called. :p Nice score!!! Must be pretty heavy.

Oh, and you've gotta get pics!!! I've never actually seen one, but I really wanna see it!!!
  4. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I would love to send pic but alas I have no camera. And yeah it's heavy. Has casters and can muscle it around but def need help if lifting is required.

Before I had this I had one of the old folded 18 coliseum horn cabs where if ya had the full setup you stacked two 18 cabs on top of each other to make a giant 2x18 horn. It was from the set Entwhistle used in Seattle in 71. One of The 'oo's equipment trucks rolled over coming up 1-5 from the Portland, OR show. The band had to scramble to find gear to use for the Seattle show. Fortunately Sunn Ind was just down the road in Tualitin, a suburb of Portland. So in high school I bought this cab from a bass player who was leaving the band - I took over the payments and got the sunn 18 and a 200s head for $140 (which was a lot back in 19** - but still a steal imho). I still have the 200s but I sold the bottom in a fit of stupid around '90.

Cool that Line6 is using the sunn tone.

Anybody have any info on the Marshall bass bottom? Man it sounds SWEET with the 200s. Also have a lil' Sunn concert I bought in a pawn shop for $125 and a concert slave I got offa guit player for $100. The nice thing I like about Sunn is they don't really have a sound - it sounds like the guitar -- know what I mean? A Fender sounds like a Fender, my Rick sounds like a rick, the Gibson sounds like humbuckers - if that makes sense. Sunn just sounds/feels like power. Indescribable.

I once saw a Coliseum 880 Bass that was biamp. I would LOVE to have one of those. It wouldn't matter if the girl said no -- I would find a way!!
  5. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Killer score on the Sunn cab. This caught my eye though, Marshall had this line of bass cabs and amps called the "Marshall Dynamic Bass System". I think they came out around mid 90s (someone correct my if I'm wrong) and they are really really great cabs. I own the 1x15 version and couldn't be happier. When they first came out they were extremely expensive for what they offered so the whole line really didn't catch on to the public and now that its been a few years, they go for dirt cheap on Ebay (and or local deals). Like all Marshall cabs, they are really heavy but since you can most likely score something under $400, shipping really doesn't break the bank.