1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh Cr@p! I Got A Gig.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, May 16, 2011.

1. I don't WANT a gig. I like to just jam and not for pay nor any pressure to be 'there' for a show or a night.

The big mistake was filling in for a buddy who got wrecked on his bike and is gonna have to learn to walk and feed himself all over again.

It's a new restaurant and they want a house band and they kept on asking and then calling and finally I said 'Yes' and I have a steady gig.

I don't want to have a steady gig. I don't like the hours involved and I have a lot of other things on my plate - but they can't get anyone out here - over 60 miles from the next decent sized town - and certainly not on a well-traveled road.

There are apparently NO OTHER bass players in the area, so I got volunteered. I refuse to work for pay - hell, I refuse to work for anyone other than myself and I certainly didn't want this to happen.

There's absolutely no chance that my buddy will ever be able to pick up a bass or even use a fork again, so I don't feel I have to do this to help him keep his job.

Got any ideas on how to tell the club owner that I don't want to play three nights a week in a house band?

I failed in a moment of weakness.

2. Just tell him that you aren't able to do it...what's he gonna do, shoot you?

And BTW - I'm JEALOUS that you have a gig. If I were down there, I'd most likely be ALL OVER it. Unless it's jazz.

3. Nah - it's retro rock and pre Beatles and some blues - I like them all - but I don't accept pay for work - I don't want the 1099 stuff all over again

4. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    I would kick someone's mom for a 3 night a week paid house gig.

5. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i would PUNCH A KITTEN IN THE FACE.

....... if it was music i liked playing.

6. Oh, man. I'd do it until it stopped being fun. Go into it with a positive attitude and let it (no pun intended) play out. I think you're pulling the plug too early.

7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

So, if you like the music, do it for fun and give the money to charity.

And if you really don't want a gig, don't do it.

8. Sorry to hear about your friend.

9. That's just it - I get to play the Wine/Cheese tasting shows every few weeks and I gig with a firehouse and a few friends and it's fun.

I play with a Salsa group and I don't even speak their language.

I also play with a Klezmer band - and that's fun for all the food they shove down my throat.

I don't want this to become a drag.

Been there - done that - quite that whole 'till 4AM grind for many years and here it is again.

10. ...and there's GUITARIST there too.

I hate hanging with guitarists.

11. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    What's all this talk of a 1099?

12. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    I was being facetious. ;)

13. Just tell 'em "I don't want to play three nights a week in a house band".

14. Aunell

Aunell

Jul 18, 2010
    that is a very good question,

please tell us :)

15. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'm confused. What's the problem? Just say... Thanks, but no thanks. Done.

16. Just tell the people involved that you do not want to gig. The decision is yours. Don't let other people pressure you into something that you do not want to do.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Just say "No."

18. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    See your own sig...tell them you like playing so much that you were caught up in the moment and forgot that you don't want to roll like that anymore.

19. I'm going to jam with the members that are collected for this band - maybe tomorrow evening - and then I'll see how their and my interplay works.

If it's a smooth and laid-back group then I can live with it for a while, but I don't need any 'tudes and glory seekers. I don't see this as a step for a musical social climber who is gonna shake the world with their interpretive musical style.

If we can just groove and not rag on each other, then it might work for a (short) while.

So far, I'm told they have two guitarists, a keyboard and small kit of drums. We won't be using a house PA, as the place has two pool tables and a full bar and attached in the same building is the restaurant and the use of a PA or FOH mixer won't apply here.

I wonder who sings? It won't be me.

There is no backline. I'd rather be a stand-alone player with all my own gear anyway.

Funny, but the owner actually heard my harp playing somewhere and that was the big draw for him - so I guess there'll be a lot of electric blues and I like that.

Gotta get my licks worked up for Blues Traveller, Paul Butterfield and The Allmans again I guess.