Oh crap. (Dingwall content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Maybe everybody's seen this but me, but anyway:

Dingwall Super J

I'm sort of drooling here. Sent Sheldon an email for some specifics.
  2. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Frank has the prototype and started a post on it....

Its awesome, thats really all I have to say about it. I played Frank's at the Dallas GTG. If you do a quick search, there is also a spec sheet posted, maybe even in that thread I forget. You can also see some video's of it in the Dallas GTG thread in Off-Topic. Its a sticky thread.
  3. I was able to play one of the pre production Super J's at the Dingwall shop a couple of weeks ago. The thing was killer. It nailed the Jazz sound and also has the great features of any Dingwall, namely outstanding electronics, meticulous attention to detail, a fantastic finish, fanned frets, a great neck profile and marvelous tone. A great bass by all means and for a great price.

The modified OBP-1 with the boost/cut treble control going into these things is great.
  4. Flatwound-
    look at that thread Juneau pointed out.
    On page 4, 5, 6 you'll find the online spec sheet, the costs, and options.
    (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174303&page=4&pp=40&highlight=Dingwall, http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2235107&postcount=126)
    I think these basses are a great interpertation of a Jazz bass. Mines a PJ, its got a killer jaco-esque rear pickup and the thumpist P pickup. To me the Novax fingerboard really brings out the playability and Sheldon really nailed the neck profile.
    keep droolin
  5. I've loved the soundclips of all the Dingwall's I've heard, but would never consider a bass where only one set of strings would fit. Are there other companies that make strings for that bass (i.e., would extra long versions of, for example, DR's fit). If not... no way!
  6. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    There are other brands that fit. And on the Super J's, the E string is only a little over 35" (maybe shorter I forget) and just about anything will fit.

7. Very cool! I sure do like the sound of those basses of basstasters.
  8. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Just FYI about the strings too, the Dingwall strings are awesome and most folks dont end up changing them anyhow in my experience. Some folks have experimented though and found sets that fit. I believe you can get Ken Smiths that fit, and DRs XXL's I think fit, but dont quote me there. I've stuck to Dingwall strings myself and love the feel and sound of them.
  9. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Frank's E is 35.25", the production Super Js have a 34.25" E. String choice will not be an issue. We will however be offering our own custom blend designed to maximize feel and tone on each string.