Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh, crap - G.A.S. again! At least it's cheap G.A.S. - a Cort Curbow...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Sep 28, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've always ignored Cort Curbows (hey, they're Corts, right?), but sat down with a fretted four for an hour today at a store that I usually don't frequent.

I have to say I was very impressed! The tone was good and versatile, the weight was great, the neck was fast, the fretboard was phenomenal, and I really like the look. The Barts are sweet. The wankers there wanted $550 "on sale" (snark), but I see you can buy one set up and signed by Greg Curbow direct for $400.

Tempting, very tempting...let's see, what can I sell?

(On edit) How does that burl finish look in real life? The pics are mouthwatering!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    4 or 5? Someone (Mars Music or guitartrader.com I think...) offers the 4s for like 360 and the 5s for like 400..

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So much for your so-called "cure for GAS," eh? Don't you see? There is no cure!!!

4. Albemuth

Albemuth

Jan 13, 2002

Aren't those made of luthite? I played a fretless with the burl-like top but it didn't seem like wood. I found it a bit uncomfortable to play seated, sounded great though

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    They have two burl variations apparently. Neither is as good as real walnut burl obviously but still for the money the are amazing basses.

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ain't that the truth...

7. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, can anyone describe how the "slap" switch works? Does it kick in a predetermined amount of boost? I saw two trimpots on the back cover, which I assume is for this switch function.

I don't slap, so I'm interested if I can set it up as a lead boost or something. I could always rewire it as a kill switch, I suppose...

I've been looking for a cheap MIM, but would prefer a humbucker with a J neck. A Curbow would give me what I'm looking for at a similar price.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The slap switch boosts the mids and highs, while cutting the mids a bit. Instant scoopsound on top of whatever on board EQing you've done. So you could max the bass knob, and hit the slap switch, and you'de have something that gives a P bass a run for it's money.

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yes, go get it. Very good item for having gas to. I'd like a 5 fretless of a C.Curbow. Mmm, sweetness.

10. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Go for it. I love my Curbow more then anything in this world, although I don't have a version with the Barts which I would really like to play one.

Personally I like the slap contour switch. I think it does a nice job of giving the bass the proper sound for slapping. I have a red fretted four. I don't really like the looked of the burl finish. I like real burl but this finish just doesn't pull it off right.

I would never sell my Curbow and considering I got it for only $200 it is the best deal I have ever seen and I have been pondering getting a five string fretless with the barts.

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I tried it both sitting and standing, but I always use a strap due to my spare tire problem. It does hang nice! (The Curbow, not the spare tire...)

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I went back to the store earlier, and I noticed a few things:

1) They had a burled fretless that looked VERY nice - it was an older (2000) model with MightyMites. I still want a fretted four - my fretless Jazz is enough of a challenge.

2) I tried four different Curbows, and all seemed to have relatively low output, even with the gain pot on the back dimed. Bart pickup or MightyMite pickup - no difference. Three different Peavey practice amps - no difference. Are Bart preamps really that low in output? I'm used to the EMGs in my Steinie and the three-band in my Sterling - heck, even the passive DiMarzio DP123s in my Jazz are hotter. Output was much hotter in "slap" mode.

3) I really like the neck and body proportions! It's actually very similar to playing my XM2A.

If I can just resolve 2), this could be the way to go! Anybody else noticed low output from a Cort Curbow?