Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oh crap, lead guitarist is bidding on a marshall DSL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rusmannx, Oct 17, 2004.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    hmmmm.
    any suggestions?
    i don't think the old 1400 series hartke is going to handle this very well.
    how many watts am i going to have to buy to compete with this 100w dsl?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    A lot if he's going to crank it up. You may want to look into using multiple cabs as well to push a little more air around. Filling out your profile might help us help you... ;)

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    dsl or tsl??
    anyhow, those are loud heads. Thru one 4x12 cab they are loud, thru two 4x12's they are stupid.
    My eden wt-400 barely kept up thru six tens.
    as it is my stewart 2.1 does ok thru a bag end 15 and 12, but i've done better with a couple more cabs.
    of course, there is no reason to turn up this loud un all but the largest venues.
    the big problem with 100 watt tube guitar amps is they are way too loud for most applications. In tube amps there is a "sweet spot" where the power amp just begins to distort that most guitar players favor. In a 100 watt amp that "sweet spot" happens at a rediculously loud volume. They really aren't for clubs.

4. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    hear hear. one of the gp's i play with uses a mesa boogie f50 and i can barely keep up with him with my 400 watt. just hope he knows how to keep the mix ok but don't count on it.

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I only have one bit of advice: RUN FOR THE HILLS!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1000

That's the head I'm going for, with an 8x10 and 2x15...
    :ninja:

Ray

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A few years ago, my response to a similar action (one guitarist with a TSL 2x12 combo the other with either a Line 6 2x12 combo or a TSL 2x12 combo with a 2x12 extension to really punish me (I mean us)) was to buy a QSC PLX2402 (up to 2400 watts) and a pair of Goliath IIs.

Now, I'd simply keep the rig I had and either run through the PA or not be heard. I think it's ridiculous to feel like you have to spend tons of cash on a louder amp if what you had before the guitarist's ego took off did the trick.

I think if I'd simply kept the amp I had (an SVT-350H and a 1x15) I would have been allowed to run through the PA and wouldn't have had to push my gear so hard (or lug all that stuff around).

I'd recommend that you get some good ear plugs and keep what you have...

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    On a note similar to the VBA400...my college bass amp (a few decades ago) was a Marshall Major head (200 watts of KT88 goodness) through a pair of EV SRO 15s. Never had to turn it up much... My how I wish I still had that rig!!!

10. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    he's looking at the dsl, and a 4x12 cab.
    maybe this is where i should get the GK1001RB i've been oogeling over.

11. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Two points:

1) The DSL is a lousy sounding amp.

2) The DSL is a master volume amp, so there's no need for him to be ultra mega loud. He can still sound bad at moderate levels.

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    What's wrong Lyle...don't like the sound of diode clipping in a tube amp?

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    I don't like a diode being marketed as offering special "tube" characteristics. I don't like the bee in a jar tone. Or the low quality for the price.

But other than that, it's a humdinger.

14. When he gets the Marshall, turn down your bass amp.

The band will get sick of hearing only him, and rag him to shut the f*ck up.

There is no bloody reason for guitar players to have a monster backline, short of playing Shea Stadium without PA support.

My daughter plays a 1985 Marshall JCM-800 and half-stack, but she will be the first to tell you the "big backline" visual is very important for her image. Even at 50 watts into 4x12, this thing is brutally loud.

15. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    ive got a 100 watt peavey XXL half stack. my bass set up (hartke 2000 head with a crate 115 cab) can keep up with it, even when the guitar is blasting fairly loud...so...i guess it all depends on how much of a dick your guitarist is.

16. You could always steal the guitarist's rig and flog it for some money, then get a massive rig and drown him out? heheeh

17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    An Ampeg SVt w/matching 810 cab will sure "kill" this noisy guitarist. :p

18. what is this new thing about guitaramps?
    i´m seeing more and more of those 300-400w amps made for guitars!
    i´ve even seen a 300w valveamp for guitar! downsize please. you really don´t need all that power. playing clubs couldn´t possibly need more than 50w valveamp and 2x12cab or 4x12 if you want to get loud.
    ok if you want to get physical i guess nothing is enough.

i´m playing in a trio where both guitar and bass play most of the time through 100w valveamps and 4x12cabs.
    i got my guitarplayer into getting a 1x12cab and it sounded much better when rehearsing.
    and now i don´t have to push my amp so hard and the balance got better(we can hear the vocals).

neil young play large halls with his tiny bassman combo 15? or 30w?
    it seems to be enough :)

19. Or better made...

My daughter's JCM-800 (50w) was made in June, 1985. She was released in November of that same year, so her amp head is older than she is by five months.

The head is in immaculate condition, and desiged for ease of service. Everything is point to point, and very robustly made. A *far* cry from my Fender DeVille 2x12 (currently broken) with a crappy circuit board, board-mounted-pots, and flimsy output transformer.

That old JCM-800 is worth every dime of the $600 I paid for it. And, it is freakin' loud.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Marshall Mode 4 is louder.

One night after closing up at our local Guitar Center we wanted to see how loud it could get.

:eek:
    :D
    :cool: