Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh crap, my car broke down

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    [Rant]

While I was driving to work this morning, I noticed a new noise in the engine compartment. FYI my car is a 1991 Toyta Corolla, 1.3l, 1300cc engine and it has been driven 151.000km/94.000miles.

Anyway, I make it to work and then I call up my drummer, who´s a mechanic. He came over, but it wasn´t clear what the problem was, he said it´s a possibility that a bearing in the water pump was about to give up. He told me what parts I had to buy and also told me to drop by at his workplace after 4pm.

After I left work, I went and bought a new water pump and also a timing belt tensioner.

My journey to his workplace was dramatically slowed because of at least 3-4 car crashes on the roads leading there.

While I was driving, I suddenly notice that when I slowed down, the oil indicator lighted up. Then this starts to happen more frequently and I immediately pull over at a gas station and checked the oil gauge. Turns out it was almost empty, so I bought oil and filled it up. It should not have been empty under normal circumstances. I religiously take my car for oil change every 5.000km/3.000miles.

I get back on the road and make my way to his workplace. When I had only about 1-2km left (approx. 1mile to you yanks), I notice that the oil indicator starts acting up again. I hastily make my way to his workplace and we get the car upon a car lift.

I noticed a rather worried look on my friends face when we started to take a look at the engine. He quickly sees that the water pump is fine, so next he wanted to take a look at the oil pump. So we take off the fan belt and the power steering belt.
    Next he took of the cover which conceals the timing belt and the five wheel pulleys in there. I saw my friends face just gasping when he took the cover off with metal dust pouring out of the timing belt compartment.

He turned to me and said: ,,How the hell did you manage to drive all the way up here! I just can´t belive it!!"

It turnes out that the oil pump wheel pulley (one of five pulleys which hold the timing belt) had begun to disintigrade from within and the pulley had barely nothing to hold on to. The timing belt was loose and floppy and it was simply unbelivable how it had managed to hold on all this way. Mind you, if the timing belt had come off, as it should have, I would have totaled the engine in about 3 seconds flat (or something in that general direction). Simply amazing!

So, now I have to return the water pump and the timing belt tensioner and get a new oil pump instead. We won´t be able to put it in until next weekend, so we won´t know until then if the engine got damaged because of this (bent valves or that fun kind of stuff).

Now I am out of a car for the first time in seven years. If we manage to fix it up I´m going to sell it ASAP and get another one.

Bleh, just needed to rant a bit... not a very good day here!

[/rant]

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    That sucks man, ive had car problems in the past, and not having reliable trasport is really crappy. I think your on the right track, sell the pos and get a new car!;)

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If the car was still running when you got to your friends shop, chances are you didnt bend any valves, since you probably didnt slip the timing belt far enough to cause piston/valve contact(That is also assuming that your 1.3 is an interference engine to start with).

Now, as far as repairs are concerned........If it was me, along with the oil pump, I would replace the timing belt, tensioner and waterpump. Being the car has 94K on it(and if the stuff is all original), its only a matter of time before they go. If you have to pull the timing belt off to fix whats already broken, theres no reason not to change it. Consider the tensioner and waterpump cheap insurance while youre there.

Good luck.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the advice Mike!

I forgot to mention in my first post that we are going to replace the timing belt. It was starting to tear up a bit on the sides.

5. here's something to make you feel better-
    i have to worry about the chain on my Dyno coming off.

6. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    Mike, it is gracious of you to provide your automotive expertise here.

Thank you.

RS

7. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    No problem:)

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    It turns out that it´s not worth it to repair my car. Evidently the engine and the pistons etc. have suffered some damage and the cost is too high to repair it :(

So now I´m on the lookout for another car ..bleh...

P.s. it sucks not having a car at your disposal.

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What kind of shape is the rest of the car in? Would it be worth it to find a used or rebuilt engine instead?

Either way, its(unfortunately) going to cost you money no matter what you do. Either you fix what youve got, buy a new car(and get stuck with a payment book), or buy a used car and put money into that, too.

Imo if the body/brakes/tires/tranny etc.....on your current car are in pretty decent shape, it may be worth looking into a used or rebuilt engine. And, if you and your friends are mechanically inclined, you could install it yourself and save some $.
    But, if the car is a rolling rustbucket, than its probably time to bid it farewell.........

Good luck:cool:

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks Mike!

Well, the car is a bit rusty, thanks to the salt which is poured on the streets here when it snows.
    There are also other minor problems with the car.

My friend and I did a little math and we found out that if we were to fix it up completely and then sell it, I would pherhaps get 500$ out of that deal.

A friend of my friend has offered to take the car off my hands in it´s current shape for 500$
    So I think I´m going to accept that deal and get myself out of this mess as cleanly as possible.

Bleh, I hate cars! :)

11. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    *hugs his ohv truck* No timing belt crap to worry about. As long as the chain holds... ;)

Sorry to hear about your car. Doesn't it suck that big problems like to only show their face just at the moment they decide to blow your entire engine?

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

KUDOS!!!
    To Mike N he's been helping via PM's and he really took sometime to write out his PM's very helpful and he is a really cool guy. I just hope he doesnt get flooded with auto questions
    :D ;)

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Well, I would like to thank Mike for his advice and all others for their support ;)

Damnit these three days without a car sucked beyond belief! I could never have imagined how depented I am on the car.

Since it wasn´t worth it to repair my car, I went out and bought a small car. I got it very cheap, it does everything I want it to do, it uses very little fuel and it works :)

Lo and behold:
    Nissan Micra GX1300, 1998.

[​IMG]

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    cool on your new car!

My car runs fine, it's th edriver that's defective! I'm not aloowed to drive fro at least 6 months possibly 12 following my seizure!

I'm 4 months into it, I hope it's only 6 months - then I'll get my license back in time for some summer fun on my bike too!

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

John that sucks!! Are you diagnosed as epileptic?