Oh Crap!! The screw head just came off!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by triggervision, May 18, 2007.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    I was screwing in my new Schaller strap locks and when I was doing the one on the horn of my Thumb the head of the screw just came off when it was like 1mm from being done screwing in. Now I have a screw inside my bass with none of the screw sticking out and no head on the screw. What do I do?.....

PS. I HAVE A SHOW TOMORROW!!! SOS

2. If there is enough of the shaft to get at, then try something like a cutting disk on a Dremmel to cut a slot in it, then, very carefully, ease it out using a screwdriver with a blade which fits the diameter of the shaft as closely as possible.

Geoff

3. Hi.

IMHO, consider Yourself lucky.

The crappy screw broke while screwing, not while playing. That would've pissed You off more?

If You ( or someone else there) have a Dremel multi tool You can make a slot to the end, if it's not too deep, or gradually drill the screw out, if the screw material isn't too hard to drill. A lot of ifs, sorry.
    And still one more.
    If You get the right size of a drill, slightly smaller than a small allen wrench, You can use that allen wrench to take the screw out.

FWIW, I usually use stronger stainless screws or M5 allen head bolts for the straplocks.

Regards
    Sam

4. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Grab a thick piece of twine or string or something similar - tie one end of it inside the end-pin hole in strap (where the now broken end-pin would have went), and tie the other end really tightly around the headstock (perhaps interwoven through the strings just behind the nut). I know its gonna look stupid, but not as much as playing the show on bended knee or in a chair. The balance of the bass might suck a little too doing it this way. Sorry, but short of finding a last-minute tech/installing a second end pin next to the broken one, or using someone else's bass, I'd be looking for that string or twine. Make it through this one show & get her in the shop asap when its done - sorry, that's all I got...:meh:

Best of luck to you.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Super glue.

6. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Schaller and Dunlop must be getting their screws from the same screwer. Got a broken off one in the back of my neck thru 5 string. :crying: Same event happened to me.:mad:

This weekend may see me drill another hole directly neck to that one and(hopefully) set the Dunlop button so it covers the broken screw.

7. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    hey guys..i finally got in touch with my "go to man" and he fixed it in like 30 secs. FWIW he filed the screw down until it was almost flush with the wood. He then drilled a hole into the screw itself and proceeded to "un"-drill the screw until it came out. the hole was not enlarged and the bass was not even scratched. I think he has the hands of an angel. Thanks for the help guys and maybe that helped some of you out.

Deryc

8. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    this just happened in my car.

That has nothing to do with anything, but I feel your pain.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021