1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oh dear...had to do a gig the other night with my almost useless "Backup" rig...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by addylewis, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Imagine: my main amp is locked away and presenty unretrievable, then suddenly I find my band has got a gig...

Oh NUTS right?

I just so happened to have a backup rig in case of emergencies (not a "Take to gig as a backup" rig, but just at home if I needed it). NOW, I bought this amp about 5 years ago when I first started bass 'coz it had the Beatles vibe (an old 1972 vox head). I used it for about 2-3 months when I first got it and hadn't plugged it in since (since I didn't have a cab for it and I bought a combo for my first "proper amp")

Anyway, about a year ago a bloke in the pub I work in (hobby guitarist, bit of a collector, looks like a 55 year old Roy Orbison...ya know the kind of guy) told me he'd just bought this speaker off a club owner that some DJ had left behind after a gig for 10 quid, I bought it off him for £20 (hell, it was just about loud enough for my head - and for 20 quid...)

Anyway yeah, so I tried it - it wasn't great (its a 1x12 p.a. speaker) but hell - it worked better than those hi-fi speakers I was using before.

TIME FOR ME TO TRY OUT MY BACKUP AMP ON A GIG!

Got the amp, plugged it all in (and, despite all the buzzing from knackered valves etc - it worked - THANK GOD!) I then plugged into a D.I. box I'd bought on Ebay for about 11 quid (again, never really tested the thing) but that worked too - just as well, we were the only band on - and with the guitarist going through 3 2x12 cabs, 1 250watt head and 1 450watt power amp it was JUST AS WELL!

I could just about hear myself - although the power amp the guitarist used kind of drowned me out a bit (well, we're playing a heavy version of "Shakin' all over" - and the amount of BASS coming from the GUITAR really pissed me off... - 700 watts, 6 speakers of guitar compared to 120 watts, 1x12 bass is just stupid!)

It all worked and although we didn't even place (well, it was a competition for 2 and a half grand with us being the only band alongside 5 or 6 kareoke artists) I'm still glad I did it, if only for the chance to play and try out my backup rig to a ****e, 25 person, unappreciative audience... (oh well, my first gig for 5 months - and it IS fun...) :spit: :cool: :cool: