Oh drat, too thin sounding!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Dec 10, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I was at guitar center (in beaverton, OR) it was very nice, no horror stories here, but when i was trying out basses, i could not get over how thin most of the basses felt!! not physically thin, but when i played it, it wasnt "deep" feeling, it felt like i was plucking rubber bands on a piece of plastic.

This wouldnt have bothered me, if it was only one or two basses in the lower price range, but i was playing Supposedly very nice basses, sterlings, stingrays, MIA fenders, warwicks, and many other inbetween basses as well. I am not sure why this is, and it seems the only basses that really feel comfortable are my De Armond pilot plus, any of the De Armond basses, my essex jazz bass, and the ibanez ergodyne.

my question, am i destined to stick with these basses forever, and does anybody even know what i am talking about?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Sounds to me like you may just be used to your own basses, or the sound from your own amp for that matter. The basses you have are pretty varied, so it seems like you've just had enough time to grow accustomed to them, while store basses feel new and you probably didn't get the alloted time necessary to begin to feel comfortable with them. I'd say go back and try each a couple more times and see if it still feels like you're playing toys.
  3. I've noticed in the acoustic guitar room at GC that they usually tune them down to D so that they'll have more apparent bass response. Maybe this is what they do with the basses too, so the strings feel a little floppier than you're used to.
  4. tjoTim

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio, U.S.A
    Whatever is going on, pay attention to your first or early impressions. Given FC's suggestion that the store might be tuning down, maybe try some of the same models at another store and see if you have the same impression?
  5. could also be string guage or type
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    it could very possibly be the amp you were using.. Or perhaps the batteries were running down on some of those active preamps...
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm curious about the amp factor too, like the previous 2 posters...

Maybe it's your amp that you're used to?
    Not that you couldn't like your basses better than other high-end models, but it seems like all the new ones shouldn't sound too thin unless the amp you were demo'ing them thru was the weak link.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It's just in your ears. They're growing bored of roundwounds ;)
  9. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    It could also be that you're not used to hearing clarity.

For years, I was a bedroom bassist (as we all were) I always rolled off the tone of my basses and went for the fattest, bassiest, sound I could. With small practice amps or playing alone that sound is actually quite satisfying.

After I started I gigging for a few years I gradually learned that it doesn't transalate well in a live setting.

Of the basses you mentioned, you're talking about some time proven bass designs. I'm thinking that through experience you'll learn more about EQ, sitting in the mix, and dealing with room acoustics - then you'll come to appreciate or at least understand the sounds of the basses that you mentioned.