Oh for crying out loud... Wilma up to Category 5

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Oct 19, 2005.

1. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000

Not just a Category 5 hurricane, a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane. It will supposedly hit western Florida as early as Friday.

This has been a terrible, terrible summer. I hope all of our TBer's and their families that are in Florida and the gulf coast area take care and prepare accordingly. :(
  2. I know! :eek:

How the blazes did this thing go from a tropical storm to a category 5 hurricane in a little over a day?

Mother nature is very fickle indeed. :rollno:

3. Wow!!
    Nature stop that crap....
    I hope it will calm down as rita....
  4. And I just read that Wilma has the lowest barometric pressure of any Atlantic storm ever recorded! www.weather.com

882 mb is low! (anything below 930 is low!) :eek:

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Let's hope it spares the deepwater rigs that have been already devastated by Rita and Katrina.
  6. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I live right on the NC coast and I am getting real tired of hurricanes.

I have to wonder if mother nature is trying to tell us something.
  7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    She's telling us that it's her planet, and we're just renting the space for the time being.
  8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

i went to bed with it being a 75mph category one.

i wake up and it's the strongest atlantic storm recorded.

and the end of hurrican season is so close, too. :(
  9. Agreed, but I think we owe her alot of back rent. :(

10. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    When I first saw the title, I thought this was about the Flintstones. :meh:
    Looks like masses of warm and cold air have it out for us.
  11. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  12. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  13. I wonder how these increasing hits from strong hurricanes will affect the thoughts of people about moving to/retiring to Florida or the Gulf Coast in the forseeable future?

Makes one think. :meh:

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Man, this has been such a bad year with hurricanes. We're up to W already?!?

15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yeah, and they don't do X, Y, or Z. I read on CNN that after W we go to the greek letter alpha, and so forth.
  16. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

As someone who has lived in South Florida for a little over 20 years, I would say that hurricanes are, in one sense, something you get used to. Obviously, storms like Andrew back in 1992 and Katrina this year are in a class by themselves, but on the whole I don't think most Floridians look at hurricanes much differently than residents of other places look at blizzards, ice storms, tornados, earthquakes, etc. Actually in the case of hurricanes, we have a lot more notice than most people get for other natural events.

For the most part, we keep our eye out during the season, prepare our homes to the best of our ability, keep some provisions on hand, have a plan for evacuation if necessary, and otherwise just go about our lives.

The town I live in took two dead-center direct hits last year (Frances & Jeanne) from moderately powerful storms. After Frances my neighbors and I didn't get electricity back for about 12 days. It was REAL hot, no running water, we were pretty much camping out in our homes, but we got through it.

Obviously some fared worse than others (we have some friends who are just getting ready to move back into their house this weekend after being forced out by Frances & Jeanne last September!), but even in those cases I know of very few people who are thinking of moving. This is home for us, and hurricanes are a part of it - truthfully, a very small part.

All that having been said, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Wilma decided to evaporate out in the Gulf.
  17. Holy crap, does anyone have like a shart or something showing how quickly it strengthened? It DOUBLED its wind speed overnight, whats wrong with this picture???
  18. I'm screwed!!! I'm suppossed to take my family on vaca to FL this Sat to Orlando for a week.

19. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Pack an umbrella.