Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh geez!! Options for replacing speakers in my Eden 210xlt???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazz5757, Oct 7, 2005.

1. The speakers in my old 210xlt have finally bit the dust. I just found out that the speaker "kits" now cost $115 each and take two weeks to order...than I have to pay the repair guy on top of that...I'll be looking at $300! :scowl:

Maybe I should just shop for a deal on a new set of speakers - any ideas guys?

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Have you contacted Eden directly about replacemnet speakers? $115 sounds mighty high!

3. I had mine reconed by Eden for ~$70 each if I recall.

4. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    same here! My XLTs are getting old and chuffing too. Anybody know of a good 10" replacement speaker at a decent price $$$$???? I haven't been able to contact Eden. Says their parts dept. isn't up and running yet on the site.
    <s> dD

5. Yep' - straight from the horses mouth....

I could nearly buy an entire used cab for another C-note... :crying:

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you want it to still sound like an Eden, you probably ought to stick with the same speakers, i.e. have them reconed.

Although it might sound like a lot (and it is), you'll have an essentially brand new cabinet when it's done.

7. Don't put anything in there that's not designed for that box! You could get lucky and it sounds fine, but boxes are designed specifically for the driver being used.

- Andrew

8. Pick up the phone and call. Works every time :)

9. I hate it when people say things that make sense... :D

Seriously, I think you're right, it's just a wee bit painful...oh well...

10. Ditto on getting the same speakers for replacement, or reconing. Other speakers will likely sound way different, maybe good, but with the cab optimized for those particular speakers, most likely you will not like the results of a swap.

Try the forum at http://www.eden-electronics.com they can give you the inside scoop.

Randy

11. Chalk up another "correct" answer...darn! :D

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Reverse engineering the cabinet is a long way from brain surgery. Knowing the exact interior dimensions and size of the ports there are at least fifty guys on this forum alone who can tell you what will work in the box, and probably better than the original drivers.

13. 50 guys??? Will one of you stand up and be heard - PLEASE!

Even if it's "close" I can deal with that - c'mon guys!!! :bassist:

14. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    another eden recone thread ..

hmmm.. make you think why I sold mine

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Aftermarket recone parts are available for eden speakers from Waldom and others and they are DIRT cheap wholesale.

The makup at the retail end can't be THAT bad.

Last time I checked a 15" kit was $18

and a 10" kit was under $10.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Eden doesn't answer the phone anymore, you have to call US Music Corp. for service.

800-877-6863

Replacing the driver yourself is pretty easy.

If you want the Bill Fitzmaurice style solution, you
    should provide:

The internal dimensions of the cab ( so that the
    internal volume can be figured).

The size, shape of the port ( e.g tube, ID 3" Length 4.75").

The same work applies to the replacement driver, disconnect it
    unbolt it, bolt up the new one, connect it.

Use cheap labor (=you) to save money.

17. Actually, the truth is...

Bill's right, we made the mistake of thinking you didn't know how to do it, generally people wouldn't know how to do it, and forgetting to tap the wealth of knowlege available on the board where plenty of people would know how to do it.

Kudo's to Bill for thinking outside the box. He is absolutley correct.

Actually the other option is if you can find the appropriate specs for the original driver params, and a web site or list of aftermarket drivers' params, you can just look for similar parameters, get the closest match. Don't even need to do any computations.

Randy

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Good luck. Eden has always claimed to make their own drivers and I've never found a spec listed for them anywhere. A cynic might say that they won't reveal their driver specs as having done so anyone with a box program could prove within 30 seconds or less than their claimed frequency responses are bogus. Or perhaps they prefer that you buy your (Eminence?) replacements from them rather than another (less expensive!) source. Whatever. Even if they do make their own drivers there isn't anything about them that couldn't be found elsewhere. I've requested before that someone post a picture of one, rear and side view, if it is a sourced OEM figuring out what it is wouldn't be all that difficult. I haven't seen one yet. The mystery continues.

19. You're implying there's some kind of conspiracy going on here. Eden isn't an aftermarket speaker company. They make speakers for their boxes and that's it. It makes sense that they wouldn't publish complete thiele-small specs because it's not necessary since their drivers were never intended to end up in somebody else's cabs anyway. I don't think it's anything more sinister than simply that.

20. I guess it was wishful thinking to think that someone else found a reasonably-priced replacement speaker that worked well with this cab....or maybe they just haven't chimed in yet...I have a gig next weekend and really don't want to rent anything. Ok, truth be told FedEx is delivering a Bergantino HT-115 to me tomorrow but I still need the Eden. It's hard to believe that US Music Corp. doesn't stock these things and that it takes 2 weeks just from the time you call...arghhhhh!