oh geez this is frustrating....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassguppy, May 16, 2005.

1. I've come to the conclusion I must be a pretty decent bass player because people either in my band, other bands, or on the occasion or two when I jam they all say Iv'e got great tone & chops. I always use to think they were kidding (about the chops part) them come to realize that hey, maybe I'm alright after all. But it's embarrassing to get complimented. :oops:

Anyways, I live in the San Fran bay area & Craigslist is really popular to post for musician wanted/available ads. I am currently in a blues project that plays out 2-3 times a month. My problem is I love playing. We practice only 1-2 times a month and I want something with more gigs and involvement. The other band members only consider this a part-time hobby. Well I want more.

I posted a bassist available ad on Craigslist about 2 1/2 months ago & got numerous emails. BUT, the people I jammed with were either not very good musicians, seemingly not very professional, really strange, or having too many things going on already. Plus, for every ad for either a danceable, jazzy or some other genre there are 50 ads for a metal-punk-indie band (please take no offense it's just not for me).

Then a few weeks later I posted again, same result. I responded to several postings that looked like it had people who had their act together. but I was incorrect. I scour Craigslist several times daily looking but there are very few postings for something I would be interested in. If one does show up it's 2 hours away. I've thought maybe it's me (but it's not, i think). :rolleyes:

All I want is to have steady gigs & committed players. It's sad the band I'm in now sounds great but the players don't want to go the additional step.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Maybe try open mics/jams to get your contacts out. A lot of musicians are not tech savvy and don't even own a PC.

Getting out there and jamming with someone is the perfect to meet someone because you get a sence of their timing, feel, ability, etc.

Keep at it, and when you click with somebody don't let it go because they are hard to find.
  3. With the type of music you're playing, there have got to be a lot of open jam venues to try. That's where you're going to meet musicians of your desired caliber. IMO, craigslist is a gathering point for wierdos. There are other musician classified sites to check out that are more professional.

Plus, there are probably some that specialize in blues or jazz.