Oh God help me. My brother wants to be a "drummer"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Guss, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Yup. My bro has recently bought a drum set. He has been inspired by the Blue Man Group to be an excellent drummer. That wouldn't be a problem at all if he would ever actually show some effort to move in the right direction. All he does is go into his room and try and play some generic drum line, which is to fast, which makes him get off time and rythm. The whole house becomes a audio collage of symbols blending with bass drum and snare. If he really wanted to be a good drummer he would humble himself right? I mean should'nt he be starting slow, and just learning how to hold down the rythm before he goes and trys to be impressive? Has anybody else really learned drums this way? Why won't he stop!? Its driving me crazy. HE IS DRUMMING AS I TYPE THIS!! What should I do? :help:
  2. countless death threats maybe?
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Tell him he's doing it all wrong, that he's supposed to stab the drum heads with the drum sticks.
  4. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    He should be learning the fundamentals before getting on a kit and playing beats.

Make him put foam rubber mufflers on his kit. They are cheap and easy to install. Your neighbors as well as the rest of the house will appreciate it.

He should be learning rudiments and basic sticking techniques before getting on the kit anyway. He could learn these on a practice pad and not bother the whole house.

He should also take lessons from a good instructor. A good instructor will get him going in the right direction and prevent him developing bad habits.

I have played drums for 22 years trust me on this.

As for what you could do about it now. Well...you could go demonstrate what a "beat down" is. Most brothers, especially older ones know how to teach that.
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Drums are music so off to Misc.

Drums can be alot of fun. Maybe it will be a start on a musical journey that could end at bass?!
  6. corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    Hey I have been playing drums for about 5 years now and I didnt get a drumset until 2 years of basic rythm instruction....I dont play much anymore since I started playing abss 3 years ago... :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :smug:
  7. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I thought drummers, although I.Q. challenged, were supposed to be a bass player's best freind. You know, licking your face when you get home, wagging their drum sticks when they're happy, content eating their own feces, barking at intruders.
  8. you just described my drummer!
  9. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well, I wasn't joking. He's my best freind! Although, it is embarrassing when chicks come to see my band play and my drummer quickly goes over to sniff their butts.
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My only comment is, if he's found inspiriation... its kinda F'd up to try & take it away from him.
  11. yea but it is empty inpiration. His attitude it "OH cool drums!!" He angers me. He only wants to play so he can say that he plays more than one instrument, but it doen'st matter if he isn't even trying to really play it right.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Two words "ear plugs"

The first couple of months/years/decades where he sucks will be rough.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

First off, you should be excited! you're a bassist your brother's a drummer! that's great news!.

Of course it's going to take him a while to start to get really good, and in the mean time it's going to be a pain in the ears for you and your fam.

Here's one solution to noise problems

TBist Miko is involved with this company, I've never actually used them, but if the claims are true(which they seem to be) then it's quite an amazing product.

Secondly, a pair of ear plugs for both you AND your brother are invaluable, All drummers should wear earplugs, seriously.

lastly, you should take this as a boon, you and your brother can now play together and stuff, sure he might not like the same music as you, but everyone's tastes change and develop overtime.
  14. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Aside from all of my drummer jokes above, I think it's cool. Just think about, in time he'll get good and you can jam together. Teach him stuff it's taken you years to learn so that he learns faster. Some of the most fun times I've ever had playing are with a drummer that jams. Support him and get him into great drummers, teach him the inportance of timing, being in the pocket, syncopation, you get the idea. One day your bro may be a great asset to your playing.
  15. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

HELL YEA.. When I was in the USAF, one of the guys I hung w/ was a kid that grew up next to Chris & Dale Bosio... He could TOTALLY slam together, & never even really cared what the guitarist was doing.
  16. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Although I agree he should learn basics, you people shouldn't diss him for trying to do impressive things right away.

When i first started playing bass i was the same way. I just jumped right in and didn't care how i really sounded just as long as my hands were moving fast. The first thing i tried learning on bass was "The Awakening", which i eventually gave up on. At least this way will get his stamina/endurance up.

Eventually he will mellow and become more interested in keeping a rythem like myself. As he gets better at rythem his "crazy" stuff will also improve greatly.

Plus look at the bright side....at least he's playing drums as opposed to :shutters: guitar.
  17. actually he does play guitar. he has been for a few years i guess.
  18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Everybody sucks at first! Don't discourage him. Along time ago our keyboard player wanted to learn to play the harmonica and would try to play solos at the gig. He was bad-really bad, and we told him not to play that thing anymore. Now he absolutely smokes! He beats John Popper at his own game.
  19. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, I kinda suck at drums, but I can still tell my drummer what he needs to be doing. By the way, Guss, I live in Urbana. You are the closest TB'er I have ever seen! Oh, and your influence, Samuel Field? I know that dude if it's the guy I think you're talking about. Give's lessons in Champaign, right?
  20. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I'm teaching drums (unofficially)to a kid who only wants to beat the crap out of random things on his kit, and he's convinced he's amazing. He has expensive CYMBALS and an expensive double pedal, and he's crap. I tried to teach him slowly, but he can't do it. I tried to teach his quickly...that failed too. He's still convinced he'll be amazing by the end of the summer. I stopped talking to him, and I advise you to do the same to your brother.
    I understand that people suck at first, that's fine. But if you have no desire whatsoever to learn and get better, you're asking to be made fun of.
    People like my..."student" are why drummers are stereotypically retarded.