Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh, how I hate Muzak

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Max, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    The Muzak speaker is in the hallway just outside my office. All day long, Muzak, Muzak, Muzak. Lately they seem to be fixated on Fall on Me by REM and Aqualung by Jethro Tull. What is the message behind that? I don't know. Muzak is evil. Wicked evil people at Muzak. Dulling my senses. Sucking the marrow from my bones. Draining my will to live. Life is useless. The horrors of the daily news combined with the boredom of my job punctuated by bouts of extreme tension; all set to the accompanyment of Check it Out by John Cougar Mellencamp.

2. ...and that's why I've got my headphones on and King Crimson's THRaKaTTaK going. Makes those BS-laden sell-side investment reports a lot easier to read.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I used to have that at my old job...what a pain in the butt.

Thankfully, I had my headphones and CDs to keep me sane...some of the time...

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get a ladder and a screwdriver.... :D

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what's muzak?

6. Muzak is a company that sells the ubiquitous music you hear in elevators, bathrooms, waiting rooms...crap like that. Much of it is either '70s-style orchestrated or late-'80s-style synthesized versions of popular tunes.

7. there's a large Pound store (thrift shop?) in the (pretty run-down in recent years)shopping centre (mall?) near me in which they always play a CD of re-recorded versions of hits eg. Will Smith's "getting jiggy with it", Mariah Carey etc.
    at first you think it's the original, only on closer listening you realise someone else (some anonymous session musician) is singing it- very odd- almost like being in some parallel universe:confused:

8. I couldn't believe it when I heard Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again" as Muzak....a flute doing the melody.

Come to think of it, it might have been an improvement ;)

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    They have live straight-ahead jazz at my work.

10. you think thats bad? i went over to my friends house for our monopoly tournement... and brian had to pick the music (or muzak) i had to listen to Enema er...Enya, for about 2 hours! i immeditly went home, and threw on some RHCP, Primus, Brian Eno, King Crimson and Tool

i need to get new friends :D

11. Talk to your boss, maybe you can both find a happy center by throwing on something by The Moog Cookbook.

12. no. get a sledgehammer.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I heard Van Halen's Jamie's Cryin' on muzak a few weeks ago. I think it was a Wurlitzer doing the lead guitar part.

14. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    That's twisted. I'd like to see the cats who record that stuff. I'll bet they're not too far from the Will Ferrell character on SNL.

I sublet the space where I work and snooped around this morning. I found the station that controls my portion of the floor. This weekend . . . and I won't need a ladder. :cool:

15. stroggnoy

stroggnoy Guest

Jul 11, 2002
    Thankfully, I have a small stereo by my computer that I'm allowed to play any kind of music through, so I have whatever it is I feel like listening to that day in my ears. Today has been a Testament day - I must be angry or something. ;)