Oh how I love my Ibanez!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiz, Sep 23, 2005.

1. twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    About 6 months ago I switched over from some other brands to Ibanez after a few much more talented friends of mine noted how fine their new guitars are becoming!

I play 4 string electric bass in numerous jazz & latin groups through a polytone combo amp. I gig about 3 times a month.

Anyway, I played the SRX500 and SRX700. Comparing and picking between them... it really depends. They are both great.

I think the 500 is appealing because it has a "wax finish" natural wood neck. Some people really dig this because it doesn't get "sticky" when you play a lot. It's a bolt on and as such, the upper register feels a bit different. It also may be a tiny bit (1/4 - 1/2 pound lighter).

The SRX700 is a neck through and has laquer everywhere (on the back of the neck). You can tell it's a very high end bass and it's quite good looking too (although I certainly didn't buy it for that!). In fact, I get a surprising amount of comments on how good it looks. The neck profile may be very slightly different between the basses because if i play one for a few months and switch over, it always feels a bit off at first.

Anyway, I use a 700 as my main bass and a 500 as my backup. They are both super basses. I suppose it really comes down to the whole neck-through, laquer finish and appearance choices. I believe the pickups are slightly different but I have never been able to tell a significant difference in tone. Perhaps the 700 is a tiny bit deeper sounding, but my ears may be deceiving me.

You just can't beat these instruments. All the time I play with people that have boutique $1000+ basses and it's amazing how many looks I get when they actually hear me playing. Some guy the other day had this 12 pound warwick 5 string bass and I knew he was really digging my bass (and dealing with an aching back!).

As an aside, I noticed that some of the notes on my 700 started buzzing after I had the bass set up recently. I think this requires a minor tweaking to the truss rod, correct?

2. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah, the quality of at least part of their lineup really seems to be improving. (You can get a great playing/sounding semi-hollow Artcore guitar for $400!) I'm eyeballing a Prestige 1006 myself.

As far as the fret buzz, try the truss rod first, especially if the buzz is recent and you haven't changed string gauge or setup since before the noise started. You can make a quick check by playing notes up the string until you find the ones that buzz. Then press down a couple of frets above and below affected are and set if there is any space between the string and fret that's buzzing. If you've got no clearance then loosen your truss rod by 1/8th to 1/4 turn. Play it a little and see if that helps.
  3. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Replace the "Ibanez" in your thread title with "Sadowsky", and you'll have dozens of replies in no time. :D

Now joking aside (although there are loads of Ibanez bashers on these here forums), congrats on finding two basses that you really dig.
    I loved my Ibanez ATK and would love to try some more of their older models such as the Musicians. I admit that I'm not too hot on the SRs, though, they're too sleek-looking for my tastes and I've never been a fan of skinny necks.

Where are the buzzing notes, by the way? If they're in the lowest register, your truss rod must be loosened (turn it counter-clockwise), and if there's buzz above the 12th fret, it needs to be tightened (turn it clockwise.)
  4. Wow, seems that alot of people around here are being turned onto Ibanez as of lately! As sort of a 'fanboy' it makes me pretty happy to see alot people finding what theyve always wanted in an Ibby.

I myself have fallen head over heels in love with an Ibanez Pretige 100X bass. I'm either going to nab a 4 stringer, or a 5 stringer, strung high (E-C).

I heard recently that Sam Ash is giving cold hard cash for used gear this weekend, I may take my Peavey and my Randal and Kustom amps over, and try to pry around $250 outta their hands, and use it as a downpayment for a Prestige. Of which I have sen listed around $930 somewhere else, so I'm wanting to get it for around $850-$900. Gotta get a few quotes tho =P.

5. I love my Ibanez even more!

6. twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Ibanez's are such fine instruments. i dare people to conduct blind comparisons with ibanez's and some of the boutiques. it all comes down to what you want. here's the damndest part though, i'd LOVE to buy myself a pricey little toy from one of the boutiques...hell i've done it before... but i know it'd just collect dust because the ibanezs i have are so finely made.
  7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    LOL another narutard bassist!!! lets fight for konoha's honor!!!
    nice Iban BTW
  8. Thanks =)

I wear the symbol with pride!
  9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Nice bass, marcusalan. What was the Jazz Bass-ish model called that came out shortly after the ATK but wasn't as successful again, by the way? It was vintage-styled with an EQ similar to the ATK's and two large Jazz pickups. Does anyone remember? That was a pretty snazzy-looking bass.
  10. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    It's an RKB or something. They didn't sell well a couple of years ago so they discontinued them.

They were a really nice bass. To bad they didnt catch on.

Came with factory installed Badass II and Basslines. The neck was like an ATK neck.

I think they retailed for around $800.00 but Musicians Friend was blowing them out for around $300.00 about a year ago. By the time I saw them blowing them out I tried to order one but they were all gone.
  11. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Now, please find the DWB3 in shops and post in the other thread. :D
  12. twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    sweet basses! keep 'em coming! 1/3 the price and 1/2 the weight, 2x the tone! i'll take it!
  13. cosplayphotos

Oct 3, 2005
    Heh sound ninjas rule you all!!!

BTW I just ordered an Ibanez Artcore AGB140 and a Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic. I played the Acoustic in a music store then ordered one the next day. cmon fedex hurry up! (refreshes order tracking page) what sill in NJ?! :bawl:
  14. I'm not too big a fan of the hidden village of 8th note.

I tend to lean more towards Sand or Konoha, Konoha moreso than Sand but you get the idea.
  15. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Cheers for the agb140! Great bass.
  16. Alan U

Alan U

Jul 12, 2005
    North East London
    Absolutely, the AGB140 is a wonderful bass.

Shame that such a beautiful bass has such an ugly name.
    Mine has been re-named Yum-yum, after the beautiful young bride in the Mikado. But that's just me being a silly old romantic.
  17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Ha, I was wondering when someone would post about the SRX basses.

I like them too. I got hooked when I bought a SRX 400 on a whim. I was floored by the big sound coming from this little green pitbull.

From there, I went for a 500 and a 700 as well. The 500 sounds a tad deeper than the 700, prolly cos of the basswood and the bolt-on, I guess. I only planned to keep one, but now I can't decide which!
  18. the_luke

Jul 3, 2005
    I run an SR900 as my primary and an SRX500 as my secondary. Currently the SRX is strung BEAD, but I'm contemplating defretting it and running it with EADG jazz flats.

Did you try an SR900? I love having the extra onboard EQ and it has a ton of variety between pickups (barts are stock).

19. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    wow, a revived thread. i believe marcus alan's bass now has an inlay/paintjob of rukia on the body.

i got my hands on a BTB prestige 6. plays great!
  20. hanscfreelac

Jun 27, 2006
    I just picked up a new Artcore asb140 for 260$! I really, really am impressed with it. Can't put it down. I'm not saying Ibanez is better than so and so, but man, it is a great quality instrument.