oh it hurt so bad... music pawn shops

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by way_of_opiatism, Feb 12, 2003.

1. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    theres a place here called millers music and pawn.

they had nice trace elliot head, i forget which it was, 7 band eq, 300 watts pretty decent shape but theyre asking a grand. hell theyre asking 125 for crate bx-15's which i have and paid less for new, and would never buy again. they have a super redhead for a grand also.

but the really painful part was what they had in stock for basses. an ibanez sr 2000, natural body neck-through, beat to hell and back. buzzed on everything and the frets are all worn down. asking price... 700 bucks. then another 5 string, NT serial (i dont know my fenders too well) fender jazz, defretted with little grooves and a gap underneath them, horrid intonation, rusted bridge, if the looks of the pups indicate the sound... gah great bass totally destroyed. asking price... 700 again. another american fender jazz 5 string great body and the neck could accurately be used for bow hunting big game. asking price 700 yet again. after these three the only one that was decent was a knockoff fender for 300 i think laney or lanz or something like that, short term memory. yeah it had an l and a z in the name so not a laney, but bleh. such a shame to see what was once great gear that wasnt taken care of and ended up in a pawn shop at laughably high prices. we need more stores here, i only know of these two (guitar center being the other, im not fond of them but thats where i get my stuff from lack of options)

well just to give a little more open end to this, any atlantans know of some good stores for used gear or new gear in the buckhead/dekalb/atlanta buford hwy area? i'll even go to *gasp* cobb if its a good one. sometimes i feel like i live in some bizzarro world where music, especially bass, is not even heard of. doesnt help working the way i do either.

2. There are no really good deals at Pawn Shops anymore. They all have "vintage" guitar blue books and use E-Bay as a pricing guide for stuff they no nothing about. Result: overpricing.

I saw a dbx compressor at the local Pawn Shop that was beat and yet priced so high that I could have bought one new for cheaper.
  3. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Not true. Check small-town pawn shops. I know of at least two within 10 minutes of my house where I could buy a playable bass and decent combo amp for under $500 combined. I bought a bass for $60 at one not too long ago.

Not to mention that you can negotiate the heck out of prices in most pawnshops, especially if you're a smooth operator.

Note: Avoid chain pawn stores. They bite.
  4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I seriously doubt this, but if that bass was an Atelier Z buy it right now.
  5. I know a guy who got a few guitars worth over $2000 new for around $500 from pawn shops in town. He also bought a playable bass and a Peavey microbass amp for $200 Canadian.
  6. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been in that Miller's Music and Pawn shop before, and it does suck. There are a couple of decent music stores that carry used gear in that area though. Atlanta Discount Music is on Clairmont Road just north of Buford Highway, and they always have a few used basses to check out. Midtown Music on N. Druid Hills Road usually has lots of cool used basses. You're not going to find an incredible bargain at either place, but if you find something you like I think they'll work with you.
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I feel like things are priced in pawn shops with the expectation that they will be bargained down. If something seems astronomically high and you want it feel free to offer what you feel is a good price. The worst they can do is say "no" but if you keep at it you might eventually find one that will say "yes" to a good deal.

To whoever said chain pawn shops suck...that's not always true. I got an AMAZING deal on a bass head at EZ Pawn a while back. One of the best Pawn Shop deals I've ever seen. I've found plenty of decent deals at chain shops. I agree that some of them suck. I've also been to little know-nothing stores that are way more overpriced than most chains. It all depends.

There's one pawn shop here that has a nice Status (I think GT-2) for 899. Someone said that's a pretty good price. Wish I had the jack.

brad cook

brad cook
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've gotten so many crazy deals at pawnshops it's not even funny.
  9. There's a place here called Cash Converters (crime converters). They sell items at a ridiculous amount. Basses so beat up and no brand name ones either. Aka they would sell a "Frender" for $450. *shakes head*

So too if you were to trade something in, they'd give say $100 for a fender copy, then next week it'd be on the shelf for almost $500. crooks. absolute crooks. :spit:

10. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    hey thanks muggsy for the places. thats right where i live but ive never heard of them. im horribly unfamiliar with this area even after a year here.
  11. Do yerself a favor and get on Hwy 78 (Stone Mountain Freeway) and come out to Galaxy Music. Dan Tyree is the owner and a friend. A "complete" music store with lotsa basses, guitars, sound reinforcement, horns, drums, keys, etc. Some new stuff (behringer, peavy, some ampeg, Roscoe) but mostly used. Some very, very good buys and if you become a friend of the joint (buy, be friendly, don't break nuthin', buy) and eventually you might get an even better deal on some stuff. These guys are great. All American guitars and basses come with a case. I know for a fact that he's got some Toby's, Pedulla's, Warwick, Fenders, Ken Smith, and at least 5 or 6 other manufacturers of basses in there right now. Stuff usually turns over pretty fast. He also usually has some great deals on strings.

As a fer instance 1989 Fender Precision Deluxe Plus in 8.5 condition for $269.00. That was the last bass I've gotten from him but there's always something of interest.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Ah yes, good ol' Miller's Music! :rolleyes: They are the worst. That's the store that I posted about a while back. The salesman tried to talk a couple into buying a Galvelston by telling them that Fender uses plywood to make their basses. :rolleyes:
  13. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    the l--x bass was a lynx, i knew it was l__x!

i'll check out all these places you guys suggested thanks a lot. i got 650 back from taxes and its gonna go into either a) a combo b) a decent head c) a mediocre head and cab or d) another bass
    don't know which to do. i think getting a decent head would be the best thing over the long run, but a combo suits my needs now which is just practicing and playing alone. i've already got two basses ( sz 300 dx, and an esp ltd 5 string, i really love the ibanez, the esp needs new strings its just kinda blah right now, but i love it with a good set of strings on it) but i'd like to get a really nice 4 or 6 or a fretless. the only amp i have is the crape. i wish i kept all my old gear years back when i didnt have time to practice (had basses for 9 years now, have practiced for 2 on and off, 6 months die hard. {catch up time!}) id really like to get a double bass or an acoustic though, i adore the sound of both. and i really like to play classical stuff but i dunno im over ambitious sometimes. and i like to get new stuff to keep the drive going.

maybe john's a philanthropist ;)
  14. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    alright i went to galaxy as suggested...

FNA RIGHT! they had an awesome (MASSIVE amount of amps/combos for bass not so many basses though) used selection and some great basses to boot. i got to fiddle with a cirrus six, the new peavey b210 (the one i linked stu playing/endorsing), a bunch of musicmans (some not so great) a couple fenders (one with archery syndrome), some thumbs (kill me but i prefer my sdgr ha!), and some bargain bin basses that were actually really nice. i traded my esp for a peavey bassic 12. i got what i wanted out of the trade and i get to play on a much better amp. i cant get the head and cab setup as it looks like im having some transmission problems on my '00 civic (very upset). but at least if i get stuck at home carless i'll have something better and much louder to play on. im glad i was told about this shop and im gonna be recommending them to people. the employees are actually helpful and concerned with the player and not just out to make a sale. really great shop! great atmosphere and they were *softly* playing instore music, soft enough where you can acoustically audition all the guitars. not like guitar center where you're having to plug in and turn it to 7 to hear yourself over the instore craptastic music.

:) :) :) :) :)
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey man! That's Ziggy from the Accessory Dept's band!! They're gonna make it big soon cause they rock!! So don't talk about em like that, dude. :spit:

brad cook
  16. way_of_opiatism

Feb 5, 2003
    haha is does someone use craptastic as a bandname? if so thats awesome :D