Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh it hurts!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stomniar, May 28, 2005.

1. Stomniar

Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    I have been looking at fretless basses to get an idea of what I would like when I have enough funds to get one built. I found this and had to share it. It's so pretty. :bawl: I linked the photo to bunnybass for more info and pics.

[​IMG]

2. groove100

groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    VA.
    neck thru for fretless sounds really nice... and looks nice too.

3. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Aaaawww!!!

Yeah, it hurts, i have pretty extreme GAS pains too :rolleyes:

The worst thing is, that when i finally satisfied my GAS for a fretless last christmas, it only took me 2 months before it was just as baaaaaaad :bawl:

I want a fretless with a wenge\maple neck, maple fingerboard, ash body, with quilt top!!! And bartolini J's!!!

Uaaaaahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

4. Stomniar

Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    I have some of my specifications decided, neck thru is definately one of them.

2 months!!!??? :( lol don't tell me that.. hehe Do you mean wenge/maple as in 3 pieces maple/wenge/maple or what not? Or do you mean one or the other? And why wenge, just preference? Thinking about a bloodwood fingerboard, mahogany body, and the top, still trying to decide. Bartolini J's, definately. :) I am all for the growl and mwah, kind of like this: http://www.warriorinstruments.com/music/NT_20.mp3
    and this combined:
    http://www.roballenguitars.com/sound/MB2_mbsolo.mp3

I love the second riff.. lol

5. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well man, i have a REALLY long specifications list for my dream bass, but i didn't feel for writing it in my original post, just incase some people migth blow up because of GAS inflatation :D

Well, to be more sadistic :), here's a more detailed description of my dream fretless:

Neck trough construction, 6 stringer, 35" scale. My own custom designed body shape, thats really comfortable, and allows for a natural rigth hand position just above the brigde pickup. Really fat neck, and thick body. 18 frets (don't need more), no cutaways.

NECK:
    Laminated Wenge-maple-ebony-maple wenge construction, with a Ebony, maple and brazillian rosewood fingerboard, so that the lower strings gets the GROWL of the ebony, the middle strings get the maple punch and the upper strings get the sweetness of the rosewood. The fingerboard should be epoxy coated, the neck oiled. Two truss rods, graphite reinforcement. Very fat neck profile. Brass nut of my own design that's really solid, and gives a better connection from string to neck. The headstock should be a 3+3 design that gives a perfectly straigth string pull, perfect string break angle at nut, and also compensates for the various mass and physics of each string.

BODY:
    Hard Ash sides and maybe walnut top, as i actually prefer the look of walnut compared to maple. The body wings should be connected to the neck-trough piece with my own design, for better sound transfer between the wood pieces. Body shape is my own design, without cutaways. Oiled finish.

ELECTRONICS AND ROUTING:
    The body should be routed for a J-MM-J config, with the first J placed so close to the brigde as possible, just to have growl and harmonics to blend in with the other pickups. The MM should be completely close to the first J, in a typical MM position, just an inch or so closer to the brigde. The last J should be placed as close to the neck as possible, and also sound really brigth. When reconsidering my ideas, i believe custom, hand wound Seymour Duncan pickups would work best, as i have good experiences with them , and i also have spoken quite a bit to Mr. Duncan himself, and the other guys\winders about tone ;).

Cts pots, sprague caps and switchcraft jacks\switches. 3 VOL with bypass switch, Series\paralell\split opiton for the MM, single tone, kill switch, and an EMG PA1 preamp booster for giving extra juice to preamps and such. Other than the booster, completely passive. Internal high quality, thick pure copper cables. In addition loads of stuff i can't seem to remember that i want, since i'm dead tired rigth now! :)

HARDWARE:
    My own design brigde with steel baseplate and brass string saddles. String trough body, which lets you put the strings into the body ferrules at an angle, instead of getting that steep angle at the brigde saddles. It's designed to give maximal contact between the brigde and the body, because of the huge baseplate and various ingenious designs, which includes mounting studs that go trough the body and gets connected at the other side. Hard to describe really. Large, heavy tuners, and a Fatfinger at the headstock, for extra mass.

Thick, heavy brass plates for the rear route cavities, instead of plastic. The rear cavities should be padded with speaker dampening foam, to ensure that you don't get resonating frequencies in the chamber. The knobs should be gold plated metal too. It's going to have a wood cover that covers all the 3 pickups, and also works as a "ramp". Made out of nice, oiled flame maple for a contrast.

Other than that, i should have gold plated shaller straplocks, gold plated screws and my name on the headstock!

There you have it! The Erlend Grønås Signature model, a result of 4 years of constant GAS!!!

Cheers!!! :hyper:
    -Erlend

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Oh ****! Looking at my post.... i've... i've forgot taking the yellow pills!! What more have i done?!

:D :D :D

7. Stomniar

Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    *blink....blink....* All I have to say is wow. lol awesome, when you are able to get that project started, we need LOTS of pictures. lol

8. wow that amazing looking bass