1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh joy, another issue with my paperweight (behringer)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rancidrancid, Nov 30, 2006.

1. As some of you may remember, I had some difficulties with my Behringer combo amp earlier this month. After getting it fixed, and it functioning for 2 weeks, it decided to do the same. exact. thing.

So my parents decide that it'd be better to take it back down to the Good Guys(literally, it's called the Good Guys) and have the fix it again, hopefully under guarentee.

Already frustrated being that this week is finals week for first trimester and my back hurting all week, I'm pissed, then this little dandy thing happened, and just about pushed me over the edge. So I talk to my dad about this the night it happened, and he said we were not going to get it fixed, which got me excited to be getting new gear that wasn't a piece of poo, but then the money saver my mom is decided that we should have them fix it again.

Now this wouldn't be a problem normally, except after getting it fixed, the volume dropped noticably, and the speaker began to buzz when I had it kicked back to boost the treble in the sound. I played a gig two weeks ago (literally 2 days after it getting fixed) through an Ampeg head which I don't remember, but I do remember my tone being waaay better.

Anyone want to talk some sense into my mother about this?
    I've already suggested changing the speaker, but that didn't work with her.

2. If you are really after a new amp and you parents don't to pay for it then get a job or find some otherway to pay them back and ask for them to LOAN you it. Its fair enough they don't want to fork out the dough for expensive gear.

3. with The Good Guys has been hit and miss, with a lot more miss. Have you considered Ed in MPLS? I live in Mahtomedi and could consider (depending on circumstances and needs) lending you my BLX 80.

What is the current and past issues with the amp? What are you asking it to do?

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Call Behringer direct.
    Contact the manufacturer. For any brand gear you buy if you're not happy with warranty service you're getting from the place you bought it from.

5. I thought Behringer brought out a replacement policy recently, so +1 on contacting them direct.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

Pretty darn good advice.

Here are my thoughts about younger bass players and their amps:

After having taught college for about 15 years and having my own computer software consulting business, I am now a Music teacher at a great elementary school. I am also a bass player and perform regularly.

When I was a younger man, playing bass helped me learn a great deal about music, hard work, technology, and the wider world. By playing in bands with my friends, I learned about relationships with diverse peers, making business deals, and personal responsibility. I even earned a good living in the early seventies by playing bass, which helped me go to college.

To do all of this, I needed a reliable and sufficient amp. I really shouldn't comment on Behringer amps (though I have strong opinions), because the Behringers I use are donated to a weekly radio/tv/web broadcast I am a small part of. I do not own a Berhinger bass amp, though I would probably not purchase one.

However, I would simply say that no matter what the brand, even a young bassist needs a good quality reliable bass amplifier, because without that, performance is not possible, and musical growth is thwarted.

I recall paying for a little over 50% of my first real amp. After seeing how hard I worked to make the first $200, My Dad helped with the rest. It was 1965.

Perhaps if another repair of the Berhinger amp does not yield a workable musical result, a creative solution can be found that combines working (or behavioral/academic objectives) with saving, selling the current amp, and buying a better qualtity used amp.

I think a lot of the older bassists around Talkbass have probably purchased a lot of their gear used, and lot's of advice is available here.

Good luck, and keep practicing! :bassist:

7. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    When I was deciding what to get the other day, I bid on a 120W Behringer before I did very much research. After reading further, I was a little relieved when I got outbid. Some people have great luck with them, though.

8. I do not need to borrow the amp, though thanks for the offer.

I've had this amp for about a year and a month, which I read the warrenty again the first time this happened, which is only a 1 year warrenty.

I think I'm just going to get this turd fixed, then save up for a new (atleast to me) amp.

Man, why can't anywhere want to hire 14 year olds?

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    make a deal with the rents...A's in Math for an amp. Get creative!

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If the original repair during warranty didn't hold, it is arguable that they still have to honor their warranty.

11. They didn't perform the repair during the warrenty, and it was after the original date of one year when it died the first time.

I use the term died because I don't feel like explaining what happened again, and people just get that it doesn't work...

12. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Non-warranty repairs are *expensive* around here, it's $50 just to have them look at it.

If it's the exact same issue then you might be able to get the same repair guy to redo his work that didn't take. Of course the odds of it taking this time are lower.

If you want to convince your Mom that repairing it again is throwing good money into a bad amp, just do a Behringer search and show her all the posts saying they are cheap disposable amps.

If it was me and I was 14 I'd try to cut the good grades deal mentioned above and get a good used amp. Or I'd ask my family to get me one for Christmas/birthday/festivus, combining multiple holidays into one gift if necessary.

13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess it's time to start shoveling snow! You do live in Minnesota, right?

That's how I used to make extra cash in the winter.

14. I would shovel, but it was hitting 50s until this past weekend...

No snow yet either, suprisingly.

Maybe the grades thing will work...
    Also I suggested that I would pay for part of it.
    So if I could just hold onto all the money I get from my upcoming gigs (luckly I'm good friends with the bass players in the bands) and christmas money, I could get a nice Ampeg 1x15 combo for around 400 or 500.

15. might have an opening for a few hours a week. I know some laws exist about age & hours & working etc.
    Try babysitting, a lot of parents prefer male babysitters (or at least used to).
    Apply some thought towards the next purchase, ask questions, play different amps, read and determine current needs and as far into the future needs as is predictable. Contact the school counselor, sometimes they know of people or community groups that need work done and can pay something.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I wouldn't get it fixed if it's out of warranty. And I wouldn't buy a used amp that didn't come with a warranty. And I wouldn't pay extra for an extended warranty.

Behringer is cheap, so if it lasts a year, it's essentially done it's job - any longer is borrowed time. You might have paid more for another brand amp and the same thing might have happened.

There's a false economy in thinking that paying more for a piece of gear, and paying to get it fixed if it breaks it better than buying cheap and replacing it. With the way technology works today it's better to replace than repair. Newer, better models every year. Behringer has a brand new line since a year ago.

Buy cheap until you can pay for your gear with your playing.
    Spend time practicing. If you're a virtuoso Mom and Dad will get you the gear you need to play.

17. How about buy expensive and never pay again?

18. Agreed. What you're going through right now is the reason some of us spend so much money on gear we know we'll use for a while -- because we'll buy it once, be done with it and if for some reason we do have to sell it, get decent money back.
    I was mowing lawns and doing whatever work I could get at your age so I could buy-and-try gear and figure out what was good and what wasn't. Hustle hard and spend wisely and you'll be fine.
    Oh, and buy an Ampeg B-100R...they run about $350 used and sound great.:)

19. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I bought a Behringer combo amp in February from samedaymusic.com - 200 watts, 12 inch, 200 bucks. Not bad for the money - for about three weeks! Then it suddenly diminished in power to the equivalent of about 5 watts. Hmmmm...

Well, for awhile I used it just as a cab in combo with an inexpensive Crate head I bought used off Ebay (a good value, by the way) and an Avatar 2x12 cab. It worked good for that... then a couple months ago, took it to a local music store, who is technically a Behringer dealer, even though they have none of their stuff on display.

They agreed to send it away for service. So, I'm waiting to get it back.

I also have the Bass V-Amp, which I really liked... until it died a couple weeks ago. :( It's also still under warranty, and I'm in contact with Behringer directly now about getting a warranty exchange. We'll see.....

20. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Disposable indeed - that's just great - get those landfills overflowing with Behringbad. Instead, how about buying affordable like Peavey, used Peavey even? Or some other reputable stuff. People get decades out of even "pre-abused" Peavey gear.