1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oh man! My first case of GAS!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 1940andy, Oct 1, 2008.

1. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    Hey, guys! What's up? As some of you may know, I bought an Ampeg 2x10 combo and a modded MIM P-bass off of Craigslist a few weeks ago. I got them at a steal, and i'm very glad because I don't need to shell out a ton of money for a rig anymore! However, i've been browsing this site, and I just got my first case of GAS...

I was in the telecaster bass thread, and I thought to myself, "Hmm... these basses look kind of cool!" Little did I know what was ahead of me. So, I went to Warmoth, and immediately fell in love with some stuff. I think that using some parts from my MIM Jazz bass, i'm gonna make a telecaster bass! Probably not soon, as I still have to pay my parents off... but I definitely want to.

Here's where you guys come in. I want you to help me decide which would be the best decisions for this bass I want to put together. I am planning on using my MIM J neck for it. However, I'm going to purchase a new Telecaster body. I don't know which one to get, though! I play indie-rock, and I would like a wood that provides a sound amount of resonance. Also, I don't know whether I should get a body with the F-hole or not.

Considering that I already have a P-bass, do you guys think I should get the Tele bass routed for 2 J pickups, or 1 j and 1p? I have the stock MIM p pickup, and i have the 2 j pups in my jazz bass right now. I also plan on getting it in graffiti yellow with a white pearloid pickguard! who knows, though..

If i sent my neck into warmoth, could they paint the headstock yellow as well?

Any advice is appreciated!

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd say go J/MM config and wire the MM pickup so you can select either side of the pickup, or both.

3. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    The thing is, I already have both J-pups in my MIM bass and I have the P-pups in a box on my dresser. If I do follow through with this, it is going to be a bit of money, and I don't know if i'd want to spend the extra money on a MM pup.

On the other hand, if I went with a J/MM config then I could cover all areas of the bass spectrum with my 2 basses.

Hmm! Haha, I hate GAS!

4. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    I think I would go with walnut for the body. It's $235, which isn't too bad at all. If I plan on getting it painted, I wouldn't have to go with a laminate top, would I?

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    +1 up top. Thats just a killer tone. I dont think Warmoth paints already owned items, not sure though. I do like the color scheme though, hot hot hot! :bassist:

6. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    The bassist for the band Ra Ra Riot has a '51RI P-bass in graffiti yellow with a pearloid pickguard (I think). Man, it's a beauty. That's why I love the color so much, from seeing his.

7. 1940andy

1940andy

Jun 24, 2008
    PS: Def. gonna be string-thru!

8. You could try MM/P, since you already have the Jazz bass covered.