Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh man need advice PLEASE I HAVE A SHOW SOON

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tombo, May 29, 2004.

1. Tombo

Tombo Guest

Mar 7, 2004
    New York, USA
    Could someone tell me what happened. Or what they think happened. I have a show this saturday, and I was practicing with my band, when it started kinda popping low to loud (volume would get loud then low...etc). Anywhoo, IT STARTED SMOKING! I am gonna take it back to the shop. But for now does anyone know whats wrong.

This could be the reason though, I bought a 200 watt hartke cab to make my 50 watt combo louder. I don't think this is the problem, but I figured I could be wrong. SO please I need advice!

Thanks alot!

~tom :help:

2. It doesn't matter what the wattage ratings for your cabs are.
    It does, however, matter what impedance they are (ohmage to us bass players ;>])

You may have been running to low of a combined impedance for your amp to handle.

Let's say your cab was a 4 ohm cab and you ran it with a 4 ohm internal speaker. Thaty would be a combined 2 ohm load. Now, in this hypothetical situation, if your amp is rated to accept 4 ohms minimum, there would be a problem. Your amp would be forced to work harder and can eventually overheat, or worse, stop working.

That is my first guess.

3. well... if your combo is made to handle 50 watts, then i dont think it would be able to handle that added 200 watts...

so was ur combo smoking or you cab?

*just a guess*

4. The cab's ratings are a description of what it can handle from your amp. It is not going to add 200w to your system.

5. Tombo

Tombo Guest

Mar 7, 2004
    New York, USA
    Alright first, hanks for your advice. It was my 50 watt combo that was smoking. Now when it was smoking, it was not plugged into the 200 watt hartke cab. But I do have it plugged in to it at home. So, although that could be the reason, I don't know why it would be overheating when its not hooked up to the cab. I am takin it in tomorrow to see whats the problem.

6. Looks like my guess was wrong. Well you know what it wasn't now!