Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh man... the scam artists are working overtime.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I just posted a bass for sale on another website and within two hours I was greeted with the following...

===========

From kate wayne [kate_wayne001@yahoo.com]:

Hello

kate wanya is my name, I am from uk and i
    am a dealer and a businesswoman, And while searching for my,
    interest of purcashing, I find your item posted online,for sale, so i am realy interested in it,
    Kindly let me know follows information.,Present Pictures, Information of the titles
    Final Asking Price
    Please get back to me as soon as possible.
    Regards.
    kate wayne

=========

mark cole [mark_cole005@hotmail.com]:

Good day
    I came across your[insert your bass into this template}which i saw on internet and i am much intrested in buying it,i would like to know the final selling price and recent condition also scan picture for proper verification,..I want you to get back to me asap if still availablem on sale ...looking forward to hear from you soonest.Thanks. regard mark cole from germany.

===========

micheal stone [micheal_stone6@yahoo.ca]:

Good day,my name is micheal an engineer by profession i am highlyinterested in buying your item for sale,i reside in canada i will want you to mail me the latest condition of the item and the final asking
    price.My method of payment is MONEY ORDER OR CASHIER
    CHECK.Get back to me as soon as possible.thanks

=============

So I basically responded by stating:

Sorry, the profile of your request fits that of a scam. I cannot sell to you.

These people seem desparate to single out basses for sale on a bass-specific website. Strange world.

"TB... Scam-Free"

(mods - feel free to move this if appropriate)

2. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i like that the british chick can't speak english.

3. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    She can't spell her own name either.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    These scammer sob's are giving us Canadians a bad name and it sucks. These freaks don't even live in Canada. What the hell is that.....'what is the latest condition of the bass' crap anyhow. Umm lemme see buddy, in the last three hours the bass has been used as a baseball bat, a boat oar, a breadboard and just a few minutes ago we ran out of firewood and decided to burn part of the bass to stay warm.
    Otherwise the condition is unchanged.

:scowl:

5. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    I'm in the dark here....what are they trying to do?

6. They get pictures of the bass, an accurate price, a pic of the title, and a great description then they put all that together to list it again as their own bass.

People bid. The scammer gets cash. No one gets a bass.

7. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Oh wow now that just aint right? Why did the internet become such an evil place.....?

8. Harpo61

Harpo61

Dec 15, 2000
    Tampa Bay
    I just got a bunch o f those these people have nothing better to to with their lives.

9. Unfortunatley it's not the internet at fault.
    Human race.......Downward spiral.............
    If "these people" would use half the effort they use to scam people on legit ventures, they would be rich and famous.

10. I'd be inclined to think that all emails were from the one person. The shoddy spelling seems to be a common among all three emails and the fact that both a Canadian and German person both begin with, "good day" seems perhaps slightly odd and coincidental.

11. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    In this particular scam, they would offer to pay me more than the price I'm asking, and that a 'friend' would be accepting shipment. All they ask is that I send a M.O. back to them for the difference between my selling price, and what they originally sent. Of course, their original M.O. is a fake, and I send a real one, netting them a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.