Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oh man, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fishhunt, Nov 4, 2003.

1. fishhunt

fishhunt

Nov 4, 2003
    i need a bass, im willing to invest up to 2000.00 and i need it for recording. so it must be QUIET , and tone versital,i play many style's of guitar. i had a sd curly , it was versital, sound wise, but its gone.i may have 15 to 20 grand invested already in this stuff. i need some good experianced advice. thanks in advance. fishhunt

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What type of sound are you looking for?

What type of pickup configuration do you like?

Fretless?

If you're looking for a bass that makes no excess buzzing and is crystal clear, I suggest you buy a Pedulla with Barts. I believe you can get one for under $2000.

If you're looking for something with a little more growl but still retaining clarity, try a Lakland 4-94 or a Carvin P Series with customized electronics.

But this is only my dumb preference. What I would do is just go to the GC or wherever and try everything out.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sooooo many options....where should I start! :D

4. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Nov 2, 2003
    Wakefield UK
    I'd look at a Fender Jazz,been used on most every style of music for 40yrs and you can't argue with sucess.Solid ,reliable and good resale value with more sound variation then a precision.When you get into bass playing you realise that you judge everything else by the classics.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    A lot of people use them on a lot of different styles of recordings. I have used them on every recording I have done in the last 4 years and I can't say enough about them.

Straight into the board with hardly any/if any EQ at all.

Go for a Czech model neck thru, the sweetest!

Good Luck.

6. I would have to say a Music Man Sterling.

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There are so many good choices. So much depends on your tastes.

When I think quiet basses, I tend to think Alembic. You should be able to get a nice used Alembic for under $2000. Please know that this is not the only choice, but it is what comes to my head first.

Tell us more about the music you are planning to do and maybe we can make better suggestions.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you want a bass specifically for recording, if you want to plug into a sound console and instantly get a great bass sound, there's one word to look for on the headstock. "Fender".

Buy a good quality made in USA P or J or both. Truly plug and play.

Other Fender products, such as G&L and Music Man, probably work also. I have a friend who is an engineer/mixer who does lots of major label work (DMB, John Mayer, etc. - he even worked on the Elvis "1" project) and the bass he keeps in his collection is a G&L L-2000. He loves Fenders also BTW.

If you ever go to a serious studio which is equipped with on-premesis (often vintage) instruments that they KNOW they can rely on to ALWAYS give a great sound, they'll always be Fender (passives), G&L, or Music Man. You'll -never- see exotics.

9. fishhunt

fishhunt

Nov 4, 2003
    im a guitar player for 25 years now ( holy sh-t) gibsons, fenders, ibanez. all high end axe's and i giged for 5 years and gave it up for all the reasons you all know all to well.played ,mingus,weather report,hendrix,allmans,eric johnson,floyd, ect.ect. now for the past 5 yrs im playing my own stuff. and recording from a delta 66 (omni i\o) to cubase vst 3.0, too much outboard gear to list. no bass amp tho.some of the pics im seeing are the most beautifull basses i have ever seen! i like flat thin neck THAT WILL NEVER BEND!and wide frets bars, low action and easy to play are a must.i cant slap to save my life,i can use my fingers a litte,but mostly use a pic(dont kill me) i like the looks of the blueberry basses and i like the area code even better. i hate g.c. but i still end up there 3x a year. funky jazz rock stuff is what comes out of me mostly, but there is a softer side too. the curly i played had lots of sound options,nobbs and switches are good things. i plan on trying many and searching for a while im in no hurry,i like the new sounds that bass players are getting, the last 10 years,but i will need to tone it down to a smooth jazz sound too. keep the comments comming. im in chicago thank you all very much. fishhunt

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Sounds to me like you're looking for a Lakland! Isn't the factory right there in Chicago? They're right near the top of my list.