Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh man...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Perfect-Tommy, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Haters!

-Mike

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I think it is actually degrading to him for him only to be thought of as the bass player. The man was incredibly talented and never got the hype Bonham or Paige did.

Remember, if it wasn't drums, vocals or git (he did play the occasional guitar part), he is probably playing everything on the records (exception would be songs like Gallow's Pole; I don't I ever heard of JPJ playing banjo).

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    He did play keys from time to time with Zep, even live towards the end. He's a hell of a producer, and a multi-instrumentalist.

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I love his bass playing the most but yeah he was a hell of a key board player! That pipe organ stuff was just awsome!

6. "degrading for him only to be thought of as the bass player"

Interesting perspective to be expressed on a Bass Forum. :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If you could play guitar, lap steel, pedal steel, upright bass, mandolin, keys, organ, etc, AND play bass guitar (all extremely well); would you want to be known for simply being a bass player?

Would you call Prince just a singer?

8. true...i'm on abark's side on this one. JPJ is a genius on many instruments...i don't think that calling him a bass player is degrading, but to only label him as "just a bass player" doesn't give him the credit he deserves. JPJ is an excellent musician, who although is imo one of the best bassists out there (rock-wise), he has done so much more!

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Upon retrospect, I guess degrading is too strong a word, but definitely limiting if he was to only be thought of as the bass player.

10. When the camera flashed towards him and Page, it looked like they were talking and laughing and smiling and stuff..........................which is rare considering the only member of LZ that Jones got along with on a full time basis was Bonzo, Page was always too doped up and "Satanic" for Jones and Plant was a prick.......or so Ive heard. Maybe Page will add some guitar to Jones' new solo album.

He most definitely looks the least timeworn of the bunch.

11. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Interesting...
    Often, any member of a band that isn't the singer or guitarist would be the least timeworn.

Perhaps I'm biased though, as I think bass, keyboards and drums are the only worthy instruments. :bag:

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I thought I read that he did the string arrangements as well. I could be wrong, however.