Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

oh man....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by relman, Mar 2, 2002.

1. k...so last wednesday was my school's annual talent show...i was supposed to play a jazz tune (written by me) with my cousin, but he didn't have time to rehearse. So, I ask a friend who plays drums to play congas while i play bass...that monday i find out that he has pneumonia. So i decide to change it up and play it slap-style (to make up for the lack of percussion). I change my grounds to rounds before the show, and just as i am tuning them the G string snaps off...so i use the G string from the 4-month-old groundwound set. So the show begins and my slot comes up. I go on this pretty big stage, alone and all, kinda freaky. Luckily, the techie was my cousin so he managed to "reduce" the space with awesome spot and coloured lighting....anywho, half way through the third bar, i say **** it and improvise for about two minutes. I personally thought that it had been all crap, yet lots of people said it sounded really cool.
    Still kinda pissed, i start to pack my bass when someone taps me on the shoulder. This was my guitarist's dad, who has been a professional bassist for over 20 years. He told me he hadn't heard such clean and melodic execution in years...wow...

talk about a screwed up gig

PS: sorry if i didn't make much sense, but i'm on ny-quill

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so it was a good or bad gig?

:D

hey, maybe you just are too hard on yourself

3. well...it could be either way...i was so scared when i broke the string though....

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    thats why i always keep at least an old string set lying on the gig bag just in case.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's weird. I've broken only one string in my whole bass-playing career (25 years, off and on). I was tuning a new string, and I just had the wrong octave. Maybe that'll be your only one.