1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

oh my dog! (review)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chips, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Gday guys,

well my Chunk Systems Brown Dog finally arrived today. For those of you that don't know, Chunk Systems are an Australian pedal making company, based in Sydney. They make an envelope filter - 00Funk, and a gated bass fuzz-Brown Dog. The pedals are hand made too.

I wasnt quite sure what to expect when i ordered it. The blend functions, and clips made me think it could be quite subtle, and also get those big muff tones. I ran it through an ampeg rig at the shop today, and then through my GK400RB into a Warwick 410pro at home.

Holy crap! This thing is intense and raunchy! :D It has a soft and hard fuzz mode. Theres not a BIG difference, but you can definately tell. Instead of just a one pot blend function, this has two pots. One controls the dirty level, and the other the clean level, so you can really taylor your blending to your sound. The clean blend works really well and keep your tone very well. Then theres the gate, which at high gain settings can give you some cool effects, or just cut out any unwanted hum, or with the pot all the way to the left, its not on. I have an NS-2 so the gate isnt that big of a necisity (sp?) for me. And then there is the drive control, to the left you get a more chunky fuzz, to the right, a more square wave synth type fuzz. The pedal feels quite solidly built.

Now for the sounds... this thing can get pretty intense. It can go from chunky and warm, to ball breakin, face melting intensity, to HOLY CRAP MY SPEAKER ARE TEARING and power is cutting out. The blending controls can help you get more extreme or subtleness in your fuzz. When it breaks up from the gate, or just a really lenghty sustained note, it can makes some really weird sounds aswell that i thought were pretty cool. It sounds great with a wah aswell. And really cool with a phaser, and for some more insane robotic weird sounds a slow sweep with a wah sounds awsome aswell.

Im pretty happy with this pedal, though i wish it could be a little bit more versatile, but hey, it IS a fuzz, so theres not that much to change. Holds the bottom end insanely well too. I would definately recomend checking this pedal out. Hopefully i will be able to get some decent clips up soon too. Feel free to ask any questions.

Peace
    Blake

2. Glad you like it! I tried one some time ago and I liked it too... wanted one ever since! Feel free to make some clips of your own! ;-)

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Lust

4. Well i just tried to record some clips. Unfortunatley, its sounds poo going direct. Breaks up more than it should. I tried using the inbuilt mic on my fostex, but it was too boomy from bad acoustics. I should be aquiring a mic soon, i think close micing the cab will give you the best idea of the sounds.

After not hearing it for a while, and then playing it this afternoon, i like it even more. My cab has a tendency to make my distortions chunkier as its very mid range sounding, but im still getting some super high gain fuzz sounds :D

Im in love.

Peace
    Blake

5. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    I've tried the brown dog and the agent 00funk mkII (unfortunately not at the same time like on the web site)

I thought the brown dog was a pretty rad fuzz. different tones avaliable, good bottom end.

off topic but i didn't the the oofunk was much chop at all... really hard to find usable settings.

6. i dont really dig envelope filters. But it would be fun to have a mess around with them set up together.

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah, i really dug the gating effect too on the Brown dog...

Could get some really tight more synthy type of lines.

8. im leaving the gate off as its in my NS-2 loop, i find it breaks up more at the end with its gate on.

Just AB'd this beside my russian muff. holy crap, leaves it for dead. Every single tone from my muff sounds muddy now. I wasnt going to sell it, but i cant see myself going back to it after this.

peace