Oh My God --- AWESOME show

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ChenNuts44, Nov 11, 2002.

1. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    To make a long story moderately short (again, moderately), I recently met some guys on campus that possess some talent and are in need of a bass player. We exchanged info and Jim, the lead singer, sent me a list of his greatest influences (mostly underground stuff) to give me an idea of where he's coming from. I checked out most of the list the next night out of curiousity (I love the campus network). There was a band on there from Chicago, "Oh My God". It just so happens that they're playing the M-Shop (a neat little place in the basement of the Memorial Union on campus- a great environment) Saturday. I talk to Jim and we decide to meet there. We talked for a bit and parted ways to enjoy the show. It turns out that Jim was close friends with the band, which will come into play later on in the story.

The show itself was simply AMAZING. I was completely blown away by every aspect. I can honestly say that I've never heard anything like them before. Please, by all means, check out their stuff if you get the chance. I can't begin to describe the sound. Imagine a keyboard player, a drummer, and a singer (occasional bass), coming at you with everything they've got. That's right, no guitars... It's definitely their own unique sound.

After going back to Jim's for a post show party, the band shows up to visit and hung out until the early hours in the morning. Billy O'Neall, the lead singer (amazing voice), is one of the most unique and insightful people I've ever met. I spoke with him for the longest time about issues I've had, issues he's had, and just life in general. They ended up inviting me back to their hotel rooms in the union with a couple of others, and we just talked more and I heard their story and can honestly say that I learned a ton. It was easily the best musically related experience I've had in my life to date.

The Guys of Oh My God are great people who play great music and are passionate about what they do. If you ever get a chance to see them live, jump on it- you won't be disappointed. (and yes, this was definitely the short version of the story). My apologies if I rambled- it's late and I wanted to say so much more but I have to get to sleep. Later---