oh my god. I cant beleive it

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by toonman, Oct 13, 2005.

1. I went to see les claypool last night in st. louis MO. I got there about 2 hours early to try to get him to sign my basses I've built. well, I got to meet the man himself and he did sign one of my basses, the 6-string frettless. But even better he took my 4-string inside with him and played it for the sound check and brought it back out to me and gave me some pointers on how he likes his basses. He even said he would probably buy one of my basses one day. what an awesome feeling. although, I try not to get my hopes too high. the picture is him signing the 6-string. I'll have some more pics later, the floppy drive is damaged here at work.
  2. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Ritter RIP-OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehe just kidding! good on you! i would be very honored if he touches any of the basses i make
  3. Zetora

Aug 16, 2004
    lol I do like the way the one picture you actually have doesn't show that it is Les, just some random person siging your beautiful CT look alike.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Funny thing, I was hanging out in an alleyway (in my vintage leather jacket) last night and some guy came up and asked me to sign his bass, and then asked my opinion on how it was set up. So, I took it with me and went to a bar on the corner and had a few black-and-tans, then came back and said it was pretty cool. :D

Seriously, I'd really like to see some more pics of that bass (front and back). I dig the looks! Oh yeah, you can throw a few of Les in there too ;)
  5. haha! how about this one. the damn floppy drive at work damaged my disk.
  6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Yup, looks just like me :p
  7. front and back of the 6'er
  8. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    So, how does Les like his basses set up?

BTW-- that's got to be a great feeling, man. Nice work!
  9. he said my neck needs to be a little thinner mainly on the sides. and the strings need to be lower to the body of the bass. On the one he played, I didn't shave enough off of the fretboard and the strings are a little high off the body.
  10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  11. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

What kind of bridge did you use? Or was this one that you made?
  12. I made this one. ebony and brass with bloodwood saddles.
  13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Now I remember this bass. Yeah, you did a fantastic job on that one. I didn't recognize it at first because your pic at the top of this thread had an angle that was different (plus, it was outdoors).

You probably covered it in the other thread, but did the overall cost and labor time still come in under what you would have had to pay for a CT bass? At any rate, congrats on a great build, on a fat bass, and on meeting Claypool in a dimly-lit alleyway ;)
  14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's cool, If I ever got off my a$$ and actually started building like I want to I'd GIVE Les one, just so I could say that he owns one. BTW, My sister just got a job working for Les at his Prawnsong Label. I haven't spoken with her at length about it, so I don't really know what she's doing there, but it's still cool and she's going to send me anything that he might leave laying around.... :D