oh my god, I just saw Fugazi last night

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Mar 29, 2002.

1. at the international ballroom in Houston.

I still can't believe it happened.

:D :eek: :) :D
  2. Truly I am. Hope you had fun though (and by the wow, I take it you did)
  3. Thanks, here's more of an indepth review:

Opening bands -

Engine Down - they were pretty good. Lead singer played a Rick 330 through an orange head. Fantastic tone. All of their songs sounded a little to similar, but they have good potential.

Explosions in the Sky - better than the first music wise, performance level was about the same (good). You could hear a very heavy Godspeed You Black Emperor!/Mogwai influence, played most of the set with three guitars, not bass. No vocals either. They were really good, but I think they were lacking something live. My friend/guitarist bought the cd on the way home, and it wasn't half bad. At the end of their set, the guitarist was strumming his guitar Pete Townshend style whilst holding it up in the air. The guitar then flew into the crowd... the guy ran to the mic and yelled "i am so sorry, i didn't mean to do that." But, no one was hurt, so no problems there. One of the guitarists was wearing an ...An You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead shirt, so that makes a good band better in my book.

FUGAZI -

I just sat there and banged my head the entire time. I was up at the front, pretty close to the PA. I moved up closer later in the set to see their bass player better. I never liked Music men until I heard the tone he got with them. I know that they're capable of more than just that bright slap sound. Ian stopped the show for a minute because people kept crowd surfing (which, along with moshing, is a no-no at Fugazi conerts), but after that there was no more problems. He said something to the effect of "There's a booth back there where you can pay two bucks, and a guy will put you on his shoulders and walk around." For some reason, they had two sets of drums out there with the guitar tech playing the drummer's (his name eludes me at the moment) parts with him, and then playing some percussion. By the way, their rhythm section is great... they have a groove you can only get by touring non-stop for 10+ years.... back to the show, they played an encore of a couple of songs bridged together. Very cool. Guy expressed his dislike for John Ashcroft, much to the crowd's (and my) approval. All in all, a great concert. I'm glad I went with my guitarist and singer... now that we're inspired, I can see some LONG practices ahead.

If any of you have the chance to go see these guys, please, do. Tickets are only $6, and it is a musical experience.

By the way, after this show, I am sure I know what real punk is. I'm not going to go on a rant about bands calling themselves punk, because I don't think I need to. Anyone who has seen Fugazi knows what punk is. Their shows speak for themselves.

Next, we're going to see James Brown. :D
  4. i saw fugazi last friday, front and center the whole time. that's four fugazi shows now.

when they went into the breakdown on "public witness program" i started the hand clap part, it rocked.

sadly they did not play "bed for the scraping" which i love, although they played "furniture". any show where they play that song is a good one. :D
  5. saturday and sunday here in austin! whoo hoo!!!
  6. The best thing about Fugazi shows is that they rarely play the same set twice. I saw them twice last year within a three day span. Completely different sets.
    They have a "Two Drummers" sort of deal going on now. They did that last year too. I always fill up on all the useful brochures on Anmesty Int. and all.
    Congrats on seeing a truely PUNK punk band. You may also want to check out Embrace, Ian's band before Fugazi. Awesome stuff closer to Fugazi than Minor Threat.

7. Fugazi never have any real set list when they play. I was watching "Instrument" and they say they play all their concerts sort of on a whim. They play one song, and then one of the members will try to make a segway into another song, sometimes it works well, sometimes not so well, but its really exciting and a real testament to their dedication. I also think its nice, because there's never a song that they will play and forget about. A lot of bands, especially in the main stream, will play a song that they put on an album when they're touring off of it. Then a lot of times that song will get phased out because its not that popular, and eventually the guys in the band just forget they ever existed, which is kinda sad if you think about it.

I just got "We owe you nothing:punk Planet collected Interviews" on a recent college trip, and it had an interview with Ian Mackaye. Very very smart and interesting individual, not to mention a great book. I reccommend any person that has ever had an interest in punk to pick it up and look at it. Its a very interesting and intelligent book that's not just dogma and fundamentalism, nor whiny angst.

so anyway

I wish Fugazi would come here, I wanna see them!!
  8. Yeah, I noticed that. Ian started playing the riff to 'In Defense of Humans', but then they went into something else.

By the way, is it or do you guys think Guy is a better singer? They're both cool, I just like Guy's voice a little more.
  9. ian's really branched out on the last album, does some nice melodic singing on "epic problem" and "argument."
  10. Were they sick? I was at the same show as DHC (two miles away from my house) and the temperature was around 35 degrees. Thought they might have cought cold. Decent show for the first night of tour. They didn't really get going good until about half way through the show. I wasn't too cold myself, but then again, I'd had four beers and a codeine pill, so go figure.

My favorite Fugazi show was about ten years ago right before In On The Kill taker came out. Simply incredible...
  11. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    my friend was telling me how unreal Fugazi was live. also he said the people at the concert were unuaually nice (let the shorter people to the front, ect.)

12. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
  13. It would take me forever to download that. Damn 56k modem! The songs from the Instrument documentary are mainly live and demo stuff. There is a CD for the documentary as well, soundtrack I guess. It's called "Instrument" as well.
    But you really can't go wrong with ANY Fugazi album. And hey, they should all run you about $10 a piece.
    Long live independant Punk!

My favorite songs include:
    Waiting Room
    Closed Captioned
    Facet Squared
    Long Division
    Combination Lock
    Exit Only
    Pink Frosty
    No surprise
    and on and on...

For an introductory album to Fugazi, I suggest "In On The Killtaker".
    Great stuff!

14. My friend picked up the Instrument vinyl at the show. Its all a bunch of demos, but you can't go wrong with it.
  15. BASSethound

Mar 19, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I saw Fugazi 4 or 5 times now. I usually drive to Cleveland since they haven't played a show here in years. Probably the best shows I have ever seen...and I am more a blues/jazz guy! Hopefully they are still keeping the ambiance of the smaller club scene.

Oh yeah, Embrace (one of Ians older projects) is amazing.

Ian also produced many of the early rollins band albums too!
  16. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Man O Man, what a show. I almost missed these guys, but I got to see them at the Ridglea Theater in Ft. Worth. This was one of the best shows I have ever seen. It was truely amazing that those guys could do that much and keep it going for how long they played. Their set list was amazing also. I love the 2 drummer thing that they have going on. I can't imagine how hard it would be to be together that long and keep each show fresh. To bad they don't sell t-shirts :(

What about those ticket prices? The tickets were $6. They sold out, and we had to buy scalped tickets that ended up costing us a mighty mighty $8. I wish all bands would have this kind of ticket pricing.

I was truely impressed by this show. If you ever get a chance, and you haven't ever seen Fugazi, you should go see them.
  17. "You are not what you own..."