Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OH MY GOD! I saw Han Bennink last night!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tecx, May 23, 2004.

1. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    So yes, I saw Han Bennink last night for 20 bucks... And there was only 20 people there, and i talked to him for over an HOUR!.. Not only is this guy the BEST avant-gard drummner ever, he is a totaly down to earth guy who is just really nice...

But the gig, oh my the gig!!! 90 minutes of pure joy!.. It has changed my perspective on live music, and the use of acoustic instruments... It almost (I said almost) made me want to chuck out all my pedals, sell all my electric gear and buy an Upright... He reminded me of the posibilities of acoustic instruments, and inspired me to dive back into acoustic/upright bass and/or instruments... Hell the guy did not even need drums or sticks, he used everything he could get his hands on and made it work... And his kit was extreamly minimal... I felt like a changed man...

Hell he even gave a a hug before the gig and when I was leaving, just because I drove 5 hours to come see him...

If you don't know who he is go to HERE.

Alex

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...not sure if he's the 'BEST AG(i.e. Free Jazz) drummer ever'-
    He is happenin', though.
    Pick up some of his albums with Brotzmann & William Parker.

What you witnessed proves one doesn't have to be plugged in(electric) in order to be HEAVY!

3. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I am not new to Han, its just the first time I have seen him live... I own almost all the albums he plays on... I still happen to think he is one of the best drummers in the free jazz world, but tis IMHO...

Alex

ps. I am also well aware of what I witnessed :smug:

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Cool...I may only have a dozen or so albums with Han.
    Whaddyathink of Hamid Drake? Susie Ibarra?

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    wow. i wish he would come to philly.

6. Tecx

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    It was really quite amazing Don, pure tallent/energy... He used everything he could get his hands on.. He even did some really cool vocal stuff... But it was just so cool hanging out with him, we talked about everything - not just music... He was just a regular guy, an ingenious regular guy - but non the less... The sax player he played with (Brodie West) was fantastic as well, Han met him because he studied under Meesha... They had quite the dynamic going on...

Alex