Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OH MY GOD, I'VE FINALLY HEARD VICTOR WOOTEN FOR THE FIRST TIME AND.....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 7, 2005.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I feel like a complete loser!!!!! First of all, I would like to thank you guys for mentioning his name in almost every thread, it got me kind of curious.

So I went and checked out this song called Me and my bass and I was completely blown away! I feel like such a loser now! Just when I thought I was making progress I find out that the bass guitar can be played like a freaking drum!!! :eek:

This is a whole dimension of playing that I never even knew existed! My style had always been hard bass driven grooves and smooth bass lines and even slick bass runs! But I never knew you could make a bass sound like a freaking drum with the tapping and whatever the heck was going on in that song!

I now feel like total crap.....that is, until I went onto his website and actually saw that he's been playing since 5 years old. I feel a little better now since I've only been playing for 5 and just now started getting really serious.

But I want to thank you guys here for mentioning his name. Now I see how much I suck!!! LOL!

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    :)

Victor Wooten is quite talented, no doubt about it.
    That doesn't mean that you suck though. Really. Although the first encounter can be a bit overwhelming (I know, been there) it is more a realization of the fact that there's a wide land outside the for wall of your house that it might be interesting to explore, in addition to being comfortably at home... figuratively speaking. At least that's how I see it.

3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I like that. :)

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    busted the cherry... congrats!
    [​IMG]

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D

I remember the first time I heard him, about a year after I started, and I was like ".....what the?...."

I had no clue how he did what he did.

And he's actually been playing since he was 2-3 years old, so yeah, he's been at it a while. Sort of the Wooten family version of the Suzuki method.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used to know how to play that song, stil kinda do but not really.

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    If you like his solo stuff, I suggest you look into the Bela Fleck and the Flecktones albums he played on, his playing is a bit more..... musical on them. :bag:

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Better late than never!!! When I was young it took me a few years and edging on by some more mature musicians for John Coltrane's music to unvail itself to me.....it hasn't been the same since :cool:

9. jazzbasta

jazzbasta

Jul 16, 2005
    I saw Bela Fleck and the Flecktones last year at Bass Hall in Fort Worth--perfect venue for their high level sound--and I was stunned by Victor, too. :eek:

I was on a musical high that night after seeing them, yet when I came home I wasn't inspired to pick the bass up like I would be after seeing Rush. Kinda like "What's the point?"

It's easy to feel excluded by Victor's skill, but I have to believe that's the last thing he'd want to inspire in other musicians.

10. I've been working through his free lessons off his website. Far out!

11. Yeah, he's certainly no Mark Hoppus.

LOLZ!

12. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Hahahahaha...you guys crack me up with your "Mark Hoppus"-ness...

Anyway, I've been a huge fan of Victor for the last 4 or 5 years now. When my bass teacher first had me listen to a clip of him playing, I just about quit right there. But it really inspired me. I don't think I'd be as far as I am today if I hadn't known about him. But it's not just about how many notes he plays (or how fast he can play them). He completely understands what music is all about. His attitude towards everything and everyone is nothing less than phenomonal (sp?). I've had the privelage to speak with him once, and lemme tell ya......what an awesome guy. He'd gladly put anyone else before himself. I don't think I've seen anyone more deserving, but more modest in my life! I suggest that you really get into this guy like I did...I've learned so much...

-Josh

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Anybody read Victor's biography? It's a pretty cool read!! :cool:

14. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I just downloaded that - same reasons as the thread author...

It just seemed to me to be every reason why the bass isn't a lead instrument, it was boring...oh so boring :bag:

Amazing player though.

15. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I don't care for Victor's solo stuff...check out the Flecktones.

16. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    Victor played at Toad's Place in New Haven last night.

OMFG. Serious, low-down, crap-your-pants FUNK. Amazing.

What astonished me was how wooden a lot of the crowd was. I mean, I'm a 46-year-old white guy, but I was REALLY getting into the groove. Couldn't stop myself. What's WRONG with those people? Couldn't they HEAR it? Couldn't they FEEL it?

Wooten is a bassist so bad-ass that he has another bassist with him to hold down the bottom end...and no, that's not pretentious. It worked incredibly well.

He also had a rather hot backup singer who was playing bass as well...I didn't think it was possible to put three bassists on stage at once without it being silly, but Wooten & co. really did it.

Photos to follow once I get around to it.

17. ya cheak out bela fleck and the flectons ive been listening to them for 7-8 years unreal they have a few i think dvds out well i have one. there just a great show to go see funny a lot of people dont dance at the show they just watch like there in a trance or on somthing.every band member is very very talanted at what instrument they play.what about Future Man. throw dont at the hoe down :hyper: :hyper:

18. me and my musical hero

*attached below*

Vic's album "A show of hands" changed my life (musically) forever...To me there is no finer bassist on the planet than that man, also a HECK of a nice guy!!! (unlike Futureman...the only not nice wooten that I've met)

Attached Files:

19. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    It didn't happen unless I see pics. ;)